BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yet again my 523 is giving me a treat of problems.

A whole load of stuff has been covered, new waterpump/radiator/hoses/thermostat/fan/switches etc etc has all been replaced.

I've been using the car fine for weeks but the last two days the temp gauge has remained solid at 12 0'clock but the heater goes cold - then hot again, then cold, luke warm... It's strange because the passenger side of the car - all the vents keep blowing hot air - it's the drivers side that goes cold/luke warm.

So for one side to stay hot shows i have circulation.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I intitally replaced the pump then had temp issue's - replaced things one at a time - turned out to be a goosed radiator not allowing circulation.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So found something interresting on the net.

The heater valve/secondry pump. Bolted to the passenger side of the engine bay - pipes go from it into the heater matrix

Guy's car was blowing cold one side and hot the other - the heater valve had fallen apart inside. Replacing it fixed it.

Will have a look at mine tomorrow.

Apparently it failing can cause airlocks and cold/hot issue's depending how it fails.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pic showing what im on about.

As you can see one pipe goes into the heater valve - two come out of it - one for each radiator.

So the million dollar question - are there two heater matrix's behind the dash ? A fault in the valve would explain why one side is hot and the other cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts