BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have not had this car long and have just discovered that the sunroof is not working (not that its an issue in this weather!). I would suspect the switch but I cant believe all 3 positions on the switch are faulty. Is there a fuse for the sunroof and if so where can I find it? Cheers for the help folks.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
First best to check ALL fuses:thumbsup

Whenever I get a fuse go I always check them all whilst I'm there

:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers. Will do that tomorrow when its light. So looking at the pic they are under the bonnet at the top right. Is there a reference for which fuse is which in the lid or do you know where there may be one on the web? Thanks for your help.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Ok cheers. Will do that tomorrow when its light. So looking at the pic they are under the bonnet at the top right. Is there a reference for which fuse is which in the lid or do you know where there may be one on the web? Thanks for your help.
The picture I have supplied is for an E36 3 series but I'm almost sure yours will be located in the same position:thumbsup

There should be a reference on the fuse box but I would check them all anyway. On occasions when I've checked mine I have come across others that have also blown.

I'll see if I can find anything else out for you:thumbsup

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cheers mate. Will check all my fuses tomorrow and let you know how I get on mate. Thanks again. :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
E38 fuse box in roof of glove box, held up with 2 twist clips.

Also fuses above battery in the boot, and a few in engine bay in box near windscreen

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres an update on my sunroof issue. Had a nightmare today. Found the fuse. It was in the box above the battery. Number 51 (20A) FYI.

It was okay. Removed switch and checked for power to it. NOK

Removed motor and control module. Removed circuit board from control module to find a small amount of corrosion around one of the components.

Cleaned of corrosion with switch cleaner and reassembled.

Checked for power OK, but still no joy. Removed motor again and stripped.

Cleaned motor brushes and com. Reassembled and tested unattached to mechanism. Motor worked. Refitted to roof. Hey presto, roof starts to wind back.
But unfortunately doesn't stop winding back. Had to run round to boot and remove fuse to stop motor from burning itself out.

Decided that a motor and control unit maybe needed or possibly some more cleaning.

Attempted to manually wind roof back with allen key and the roof jammed after about 50 mm of movement.

Not good. Ended up spending the next hour forcing the roof to close with allen key and pulling and poking and just generally a lot of brute force. This has damaged the paintwork down one side of the steel roof panel where it was rubbing on the inside of the roof. and I suspect major damage to mechanism and its looking like Im going to have to remove the entire cartridge which looks like a major job.

Wishing now that I had just left it alone. Will wait until the summer to strip it out and attempt to repair it as I don't have a garage.

Does anybody know where I can find a write up for this job?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That could be of some use Ronnie cheers. Will only have a problem with removing the trim panel from underneath the sunroof as it no longer opens. The 9 torx bolts he mentions. Bit of a catch 22. Have to open sunroof to remove trim but will damage it more if I open it. I assume the sunroof cartridge will just unbolt from inside and come out in one piece once the headliner is out then i can replace/repair any damage to the mechanism.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to tell. Shame the diagrams werent a tad bigger. Cheers Ronnie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right then, Ive got a replacement sunroof unit. All in working order with motor too. Only slight issue is the steel panel is a different colour but I believe this is easy to swap with my old correct piece.

So, weather permitting Im going to have a crack at it one day next week.
I've studied all the info on E38.org etc and will have it at hond on the day RE headliner removal etc. Has anybody got any extra advice I should be aware of?
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sunroof all fitted and working. At last! Roof lining was a bit of a task but got there in the end. I was gonna do some pics and a write up but thought I would only be repeating what can be found on e38.org.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/566588

While I was removing the roof liner, I came across a part located right in the middle of the roof. It had GPS written on it and DO NOT REMOVE.
As I dont have navigation yet, and the nav gps antenna is located under rear shelf I think, I was wondering what this unit was? The write up for headliner removal just says ceiling mounted motion sensor??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts