BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then guys. No sooner do I fix one problem another problem rears its head. I have got a pretty strong smell of fuel ligering around the back door/wheel area of my car on both sides.
There doesnt seem to be any trace of fuel on driveway underneath car. I have had it up in the air and checked for obvious leaks on all hoses/lines around filter etc underneath car. I have had back seat out and had a quick look under rubber flaps on top of fuel tank and all seem dry. With it being a 750 its hard to tell if Im loosing any fuel above the fuel burnt as it doesnt last long anyway. :hihi
Has anyone heard of this at all? I found a bit on another forum (see link) which seems to be the same problem but it was fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator under the bonnet?? I dont see how by replacing that a smell of fuel will be eliminated from the rear???
Cheers guys

http://forums.*****************/forum/showthread.php?t=1013089

insert bimmerforumsdotcom where the *'s are

·
Registered
183 Posts
i've got the same problem wth mine. if you remember where your fuel gauge is and leave it for 2 days, there should be less. if this happenes, you've got a pourious fuel tank(think i've spelled that wrong) or if your really lucky, its just your seal that needs replaced.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear, fuel tank=big money. :-( What seal are you talking about Bucky?
Cheers mate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i think theres a seal between your fuel tank and the filler cap, but i can't be sure. you won't have any stains on you're drive because the fuel leaves your tank by evaparating (think i've spelled that wrong....again)

forgot to mention, if you only have 1/4 tank you don't smell it anymore. just incase it bothers you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
best thing to do is take it to a garage and get it on some ramps and ceck for rust.

BTW if you do need a tank, the cheapest you'll find is a re-conditioned one for £400 (£350 if you give them you're old one). if you want this option i can give you their email. but then again you should be able to get a used servisable one from a scap yard cos yours is newer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it does smell more when tank is fuller. Ive not actually filled it to the brim yet. Filled it to 3/4 and that was when I started to notice the smell. When I bought it it was practically empty hence I didnt notice a smell.

Will get it up in the air again and look for rust on tank. Did have a quick look when I had in the air looking for dodgy hoses and it looked in pretty good nick.

Ive read something about the seal on the filler neck. Apparently its a nightmare to change.

One other thing is when I do put fuel into it the pump is always clicking off. I have to pull the nozzle out of filler neck to stop it. I thought maybe I had some spillage but I would of thought it would have evaporated by now.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers mate. Got a feeling this is going to be a drawn out one. :confused

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Im going to check everything before a fuel tank change. Im thinking the pipes at the top of tank could be the problem, its just getting at them. Cheers Ronnie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to start, your 750i is lovely. I had the same problem with mines. I have a 96 740i. When brimmed up full of say 77-80 ltrs, i also incurred an odd smell from the both rear arch area's of my princess. When i got down on my knees to take a look a few tiny dropps had leaked. Nobody could tell when what it was. At first i thort it was a leaking tank.. It was... Basically..

When fuel is brimmed up to the top there is a crazy overflow valve, once the fuel touches this valve, about 0.5 lrs cal start urinating out. It is a safety feature so that the car does not burn extra fuel than neccasary.

It is also strange that once the fuel pump at the station goes "tick" its a little too late to stop pumping. I never had that problem with my 87 E32 735i. If you pull it out a little prematurely, then it does not smell at all.

Commonly E34 5 series and E38's have corroding fule lines, that run along the side sills of the car to the engine, over time and bad weather, they corrode and can cause your fuel guage to read out inaacuratly. Costly but it is also worth repairing if the problem of "smell's" persists.

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to start, your 750i is lovely.
Cheers Sunny. :)

Ok so Ive still got this problem but im living with it at the mo. The weather too crap for any thorough investigation. Like was mentioned earlier on in thread, once its below around 1/3 - 1/4 of a tank it doesnt smell and even when its above that level i dont appear to losing any noticable amount of fuel.
I have checked the fuel lines and the garage I took it to had coincidentally actually recently replaced a set of corroded fuel pipes on a 7 and he said mine looked fine.
I dont need to fill it up to the top really. I work 10 miles away so 1/3 of a tank lasts me a week.
Roll on the good weather and the dirty hands!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive got the same thing !

noticed it once or twice and it was only whenthe very arsey guy at The MOT centre said it made him feel so sick that he was considering failing it. Ive never notcied it when driving though , Only when Im outside the car.

Ontop of that the aircon/heater fan has decided to stop working ! one mechanic said to replace it I have to do something with the crankshaft for this ?
J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.