1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to dismantle your headlamp units to fit those Rob. The bit about taking the sidelight bulbs and connecting the rings is electrical bit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah right I thought it sounded a bit suss. But I'm guessing a pretty straightforward job anyway. I'm a pretty technical person but I don't want to be balls deep in hours or days worth of work that has the potential to be a disaster. Cheers for the help mate. :thumbsup

·
Registered
312 Posts
Installing ccfls

Above advice is correct. Assuming your lights are similar to the e36 design....

Need to remove the whole units from the car, unclip the front assembly and then remove the inner lenses using a blade.

Not too hard. Once the lenses are out, clean up the excess and then take time to properly clean out the space between the inner lenses and the glass cover.

Then glue the rings to the front of the lenses and, once dry, silicone them back in - use turps and brush to smooth this out nicely.

The wires from the rings go back through the other part of the light assembly. Clip it all back together and install in car. These wires go into the ballasts.

The ballasts take power from the sidelight circuit - one to positive, one to ground.

Given need to wait for glue to dry etc, its a weekend job, but well worth it when you have done it yourself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cheers guys. Defo going to have a go at fitting them asap then. Are the CCFL ones the ones to go for then? hey seem to be the reassuringly more expensive ones.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like sound advice guys. Ill whip one lamp out and see if I get it to bits first. Will keep you posted. :thumbsup

·
Registered
312 Posts
CCFLs

CCFLs are bright enough and there is a range of different colours. If you want the BMW OEM look, go for around 4500K colour, 6000K is white, 8000K is approaching blue - higher is more blue.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the OEM look is what im after. Cool thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would be good to see what they look like when they are fitted. I cant visualise what they would look like. If you get them could you post some pics please. Cheers. :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts