BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
Ive got a 1998 E38 with the 4:3 TV but no Navigation. This option seems quite rare as most E38's I see have TV and nav and not just TV.
It seems to have a whole load of the options, telephone, TV, Multi CD but no nav.
My question is, would it just be a case of buying the nav drive and just mounting and plugging it in to make it work or would I require a whole new harness? There are 2 blue multipin plugs in the area where the drive would go but its never had one as there is no slot in the boot trim etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
Cheers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Ronnie. I couldn't actually see the £1700 kit you mentioned but I did find the official BMW retrofit guide. Seems I may be short of 2 harnesses, the GPS antennae and the drive/computer. All ok except for one of the harnesses with has to be run into the engine and spliced into various existing cables which looks a bit of a mare. With any luck I may already have this harness fitted. Will be checking tomorrow when its light. The rest looks pretty easy and the drives are cheap as chips on eBay.

Heres the link for the guide for those who are interested:

http://www.e38.org/e38_nav_retrofit.pdf

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well ive just checked in the dark and I havent got the harness fitted but doesnt look as difficult as i thought. Just got to get hold of them. The guide doesnt have individual bmw parts references. Will have to see if i can find them on the oem site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts