BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...
Just a few questions about a 728i a mate has bought (1999).

1.The battery dies overnight, is there a problem with the car or maybe just is asking for a new battery?

2.There is a whooo'ing sound from the front when the steering is turned...

Thats it for now, but I havnt driven it far yet... :hihi

Any comments welcome

·
Banned
478 Posts
The resident experts im sure will post more on this,

but if the battery is dead in the mornings, then it could be the battery or the alternator is not charging it properly,

As for the whooing noise, my guess is that it could be low power steering fluid, it is worth checking the power steering reservoir and top up if necessary, Most cars with power steering make a noise in at low speeds, especially at full lock.

Does it make that noise at normal road speeds??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does, just makes the noise when the steering is turned, regardless of speed, or if stationary...

·
Banned
478 Posts
Its possible that the power steering pump is a little noisy due to it possibly being on the way out, but it could be the fan belt thats a little loose, but you'd probably experience overheating issues.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You need to establish if the battery is at fault, the alternator or if someyhing is draining it over night.

Get the car running..........get a muti-meter and put it across the battery, turn your head lights on and rear screen heater- you should see between 13-14 volts while the car is running...........if its below 13v then your alternator is buggered if the belt tension is ok.

If you do not have a muti-meter..........then get down to somewhere like Kwik fit, cough,cough........and get free battery check done:D

As with the noises you are gettting...............when the car is stationary and running - do you still get that noise if you turn the wheels or does it only occur when the car is being driven?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a similar problem with my battery after I had left it attached when I went away for a month or so. When I got back it was dead so I jump started it and went for a long old drive thinking that would charge it. Guess what it didn't so I took it out banged it on a charger over night on fast charge and it still didn't work. So I bought a new battery, unfortunately for me my attempts to jump the car a second time cause a fault with my immobilizer and cost me a new set of keys £250 (ouch). Once I had my new keys the new battery worked fine. owever I thought what the hell and left the old battery on fast charge for 3 days and low and behold it is working again and has kept its charge now for about 3 months so I have kept it as a spare just in case.
the moral of the story is avoid jump starting your car and to try charging the old battery for a couple of days before you fork out the £100 for anew one.
Hope this helps
Si

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As with the noises you are gettting...............when the car is stationary and running - do you still get that noise if you turn the wheels or does it only occur when the car is being driven?
The noise I get is only when the car steering is turned, regardless of the BMW being stationary or moving.

Thanks for all your help on the battery situ, I think a FREE battery check is needed!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The noise I get is only when the car steering is turned, regardless of the BMW being stationary or moving.

Thanks for all your help on the battery situ, I think a FREE battery check is needed!
have you checked the belt tension on the PS belt?

As others suggested, check PAS fluid level and condition. If level is fine and the Fluid looks rank.......maybe worth changing it to quieten the pump down.....if that don't work then its on its way out mate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, Il jump start it this weekend and do the do... Its just sitting on my drive as he wants me to sort it out before he gets in on the road...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
When you jump start the car, BEFORE disconnecting the jump leads when started turn on the headlights and heated rear screen to prevent the alternator surging in with huge amps and blowing a ECU

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think that was my mistake cost me £250 for new keys and my PDC has been flaky ever since too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts