BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
firstly sorry if this is the wrong place couldnt decide if i should put it here or engine convertions
(mods please move if not ):thumbsup
right i have a m52 328i with stripped threads in the block i have an engineering firm coming over to look at it on monday,but it looks like it has already been helicoiled, but i have been offered a 323i (2.5)m52 engine very cheap that runs mint will this run on my management ok with them both being siemens run or will i have big problems i can get the ecu but not n the ews boxes or keys so i need is there any way i can sort this cause i need my car back on the road and i cant afford a 328i engine they seem to be going in excess of £700

any help much appreciated thank you

Jay

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The 323i engine which as you say is a 2.5l can be put in your 328i and the DME should run it but it may over fuel it slightly. The 2.8l m52 engine is just a 2.5l m52 engine with a different crank after all.

You won't be able to put the 323i DME in the car though due to the EWS.

I've seen people run there cars at bangers on different ECUs when there's have been damaged, they were pre-EWS and ran but due to the different engine sizes they didn't run full performance/smooth.

Have you tried a magnet on a helicoil? IIRC they are magnetic so you should be able to try a magnet on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You won't be able to put the 323i DME in the car though due to the EWS.

I have heard of removing the ews is this possibable also if it only the crank that is differnt could i put my crank in the 2.5 i take the rods are the same thanks again

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would try fitting the 323 motor on it's own and see how it runs it should be fine the air flow meters are the same on the 2.5 and 2.8 as is the throttle body, inlet and exhaust manifolds, heads and cams.
Injectors are different pink tops are 328, green tops are 323/325
so as long as you use the green top 323 injectors that should stop it over fueling

once it is up and running then you can see how it runs and decide then if you need to remap ECU or swap with a complete 323 ECU/EWS system

carefull the crank sensor is in the same place the late m52s had this fitted at the rear

keep us posted

·
Registered
401 Posts
ive got a 96 328i engine that i might sell, 145k wich can be confirmed and still in the car so you can hear it running, got everything with it, gearbox, loom, ecu keys etc, gimme a good price and ill consider it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts