BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to change the gearbox and dif oil for some time. I'm getting a bit of a whine in 1st and 2nd now as the revs climb, which I would associate with worn gears.

I don't want to use the standard replacement oil, as I'd like to attempt to help get rid of this slight whine as much as possible. I've heard good things about Redline 75W90 and wondered if anyone on here has used it, and to what effect? Better shift, quieter, etc?

Also just want to make sure that this is okay for my gearbox and dif. Its a manual gearbox, and I've got a sport coupe, rather than standard coupe, if that makes any difference. And how much oil does each box hold?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As Ronnie states check you label for the correct g/box oil requirement.

My gearbox has the orange label (IIRC) and uses ATF and I'm running Castrols ATF Dexron III in it. Gearbox is like silk.

In my Diff, I used the correct specification grade but got Comma's brand. The diff again is quiet and smooth.

FWIW, I also change my g/box & diff oil every year (may be extreme in some folks opinion, not in mine. For the past 4 years the g/box & diff have never caused any issues or sounded strange, also they perform great from cold).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I've resurrected this thread as I've finally got round to jacking my car up. I've attahced a crap photo of the label on my gearbox. As my original post says, I'd like to use some Redline in the gearbox but unsure which oil is the match.

The label says: MTF-LT-1, life time oil, no oil change.

But obviously I want to put some decent stuff in 100,000 miles later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just out of interest how hard was the gearbox change or if you had someone else do it what did they charge? as I also have a whine in 1st and second.
I haven't changed the oil yet. It looks like I need the official BMW stuff for the gearbox because it's lifetime oil. I'd do the work myself and by the looks of it, seems a pretty simple job, although I think you may need a siphon pump to pump the oil up into the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts