BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

This is the first bmw i've owned so im a bit green when it comes to them etc

My service light has just come on (the yellow one) so im getting all the gear ready for next weekend... So the questions :)

-what oil would you use? what grade and how much of it do i need to buy.
-what plugs are recommended.
-what brand of oil filter would you see as best?

Car has a full BMW history until me, and has done 140,000 miles. So is there any thing else i should do, like cleaning oil re-breathers etc. or doing something to de-sludge?

Like i said im a bit green but want to keep this car for a while, so any advise you have would be great!

What are people thoughts on changing the auto fluid?

Thanks very much

Rob,

·
Registered
183 Posts
oil service on these cars is ease. only thing is unless you by your own service reset tool, you have to go to bmw to reset your service light.

i use castrol magnex, from the top of my head 10w40, about 6.2 litres
boosh 4 core spark plugs
cooper or champian are a bit cheaper than the bmw ones. think someone said a 730 one from bmw was £60, i paid £14 for a cooper one.

not sure about the e36 autos but the e38's don't need changed (as far as bmw are concerned). if yours hasen't been changed and you've done over 100,000 miles on the same fluid, probley best to change it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,

I think i have read somewhere that BMW recommends 5w-30 mobile1?

Any thoughts?

Also the auto trans fluid is supposedly 'sealed for life' just wondered what arguments there were (if any) for believing BMW.......

Would any one recommend platinum plugs?

I really don't mind expensive gear, would rather have the best, better than bmw or the same if that makes sense?

Thanks again

Rob,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i normally go to halfords and just use the idiots guide they have for all the stuff.

if your looking for good plug then iridium plugs are good.
:rofl

Sorry mate, i used to work at Halfrauds when i was 16/17

NEVER trust their books! if they don't know something it get essentially made up! they also will only tell you to buy oil which they sell in grades they sell,

Also whilst im having a rant, get a trade card, bulbs which are £7 on trade are £1.50, same with wipers etc. They really really rip you off!

I've seen a few reset tools, and was slightly skeptical about resetting with a bend wire lol but hey if any one else has done the same with out destroying their car and wants to save me £15 im game :)

Rob,

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hi there,

This is the first bmw i've owned so im a bit green when it comes to them etc

My service light has just come on (the yellow one) so im getting all the gear ready for next weekend... So the questions :)

Car has a full BMW history until me, and has done 140,000 miles. So is there any thing else i should do, like cleaning oil re-breathers etc. or doing something to de-sludge?

Like i said im a bit green but want to keep this car for a while, so any advise you have would be great!

What are people thoughts on changing the auto fluid?

Thanks very much

Rob,
5w40 or 10w40 will be fine. GSFCP will sell you a decent oil at a decent price like Fuchs for example.

Spark plugs - do not piss about here, either get genuine OEM BMW ones or specify this at Eurocarparts/GSFCP who will supply you with the NGK ones. (Do not bother trying out Bosch Super 4 etc, specific OEM ones will provide the optimum performance and correct running).

Oil Filter - Eurocarparts will do you an OEM BMW oil filter for about £6. Why bother getting something inferior at this price???????

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
GSF/ ECP parts are fine, just stick with the branded names. Not sure on GSF but ECP always used to sell reset tools, nothing wrong with the wire method either although I always use the tool.

As for sludge buildup, I try not to use engine flush as I worry about what I will dislodge and where it will end up! I'd rather do a couple of short changes instead.

Ian

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Ian, not only that i think engine flush is essentially paraffin, never been that keen on thinning out the oil to flush things :jaw-dropping

I think i have heard in the past that there is a breather that can get sludged up?

Also the previous owner told me that BMW suck the oil out through the dip stick hole to speed the service etc up, its been main dealer serviced from new so do you think its worth dropping the sump off and giving it a clean out?

any other bits that people would advise changing to be nice to the car would be great.

Cheers all

Rob,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.