BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know whether I can recode an alarm keyfob while the alarm is currently active? I'd like to be sure before I pull out the glovebox to get to the alarm module.

The problem is that my alarm keyfob has just decided it's not talking to the car anymore so I can't shut off the alarm. I have just woken up my friends neighbours before disabling the siren on the car then driving for around 80 miles with the hazard lights flashing away every couple of minutes. All my spare fobs, and my emergency shutoff codes (doh), are elsewhere as I'm currently on a visit. Great timing and well prepared!

If I can temporarily recode the one fob until I get back this would be a bonus, otherwise I'll have to disable the hazards and sort this after the weekend.

Has anyone tried to reprogram the module while the alarm is active?

Cheers,

Rai.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From what I've read on the forum so far you should deactivate it first by disconnecting the battery. Then reconnect it while ignition turned on. If I'm not being completely thick that should reset it first

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - it was late and couldn't find what I needed.
Tried disconnecting the battery, leaving it for a while and reconnecting with key in ignition position I and II but still no joy - the alarm kicks off as soon as I reconnect the power.
Short term fix was to disconnect the power lead into the hazard warning switch which has disabled the hazards from flashing so I can at least drive back home without looking like a complete eejit. Thanks to billyWhizz1984 in a previous post for this (see below).
Cheers all.
Rai.

Previous post: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/bmw-318-1996-flashers-operating-when-engined-switched-off-t101744/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts