BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Can anyone answer my question regarding air con systems.

Why is it, that a.c. systems need to be regassed every year or two, when a house hold refrigerator using a similar refrigerant can last well in excess of 10 years without any problem?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
most probably because your not conditioning the air during the cold winter months. The seals around the ends that hold the gas dry up and the gas leaks out. come summer you find your air con isn't ice cold.

the air conditioning should be used every couple of weeks for at least 20 mins (remember it doesn't have to blow out just cold air)

it's a very common mistake people make

Reactions: Geordie Boy

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The system in a car is a lot more complicated with many more parts than the average a/c system. Plus is has to deal with the elements and the extremes in heat that an engine bay will encounter.

Reactions: Geordie Boy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I was aware that you should use your air con all year round, and I do do that, so from what you said then, I would then presume that leakages could still occur when used all the time?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
it could happen - nothing can be gauranteed. But from what i have learned from speaking with garages is that it lasts a lot lot longer if regulary used.
My Ford Focus is 10 years old and hasn't been regassed since i took the reigns - still ice cold 3 years on

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my dad has a Mondeo, and nevered used the air con in winter, and consequently now has no air con at all, I tried getting it sorted for him, but was told that when it all stops working, things tend to seize up and then you're into hundreds of £'s to fix, so he has decided to not bother with it anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts