BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you lot know how (and if you can) to set up the timing on the 328 engine?

My car started overheating the other night and first guess was water pump - no problems, but the thermostat did not open in a cup of boiling water so I am currently waiting to get one of those later today so I can test it!

Fingers crossed it will just be that but I have a bad feeling it will be the headgasket.

Cheers guys!

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirmed Headgasket issue!!! Doh!!

New thermo and bled the system and the problem is still there!!

Got a block tester to check if there are any exhaust gasses in the cooling system and came up positive!! Oh well....

Looks like I will have a fun time doing this!! haha!!

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooohh sounds like good fun!! :)

Although I think the I removed the VANOS a little different to guided (see pic) oh well, I cant see it causing any problems as its only a piston!

I would also recommend chaning the VANOS seal too - I checked mine and there is almost NO lip so oil would just push past the seal and it just wont work properly and give a rattle as it moves about in the housing.

Also going to remove the TCS system - What a load of crap! 2nd TB and all it does is close it.... Plus you never need TCS :D or ASR whatever its called :p haha

So far: - 3hrs and here I am - only need to remove a few more bits and bobs and the bugger is off and getting skimed/pressure tested and dipped!!

Piccys, so far this seems to be a like a fun job :) a lot more simple to work on than my MR2 that we are building! hehe!

Loads of bits in the boot:

Engine Bay:

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also Ronnie, thanks for the links mate!! Will be a big help :) Differs slightly to Autodata but hey!! It all seems pretty simple.

Hamish - would it be possible if I could borrow your timing kit? If the ebay guy does not have any? I can only see ones that are £250.... for something that I am going to use once.... maybe twice... I think its a waste of money!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.