BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya!

realy bad grinding noise coming from steering colume? and steering in turn goes really stiff? checked slip ring.. that seems ok, checked top bearing... that was realy dry and a few bearing had come away from the ring but had not fallen out.. replaced that. greesed up everything that moves!? not sure how to do the lower bearing but it seems like its coming from close to the steering wheel. pas is ok? level is good and no leaks? also key sometime wil spin 360 2-3 times b4 catching?
PLEASE HELP! NO CAR! LOL

thanks alot guys

steve, ow its an e36 325i se

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The ignition/key problem will be the barrel, it will need a new one, common problem.

As for the column, try removing the steering column UJ and seeing if it has gone stiff, while it's off you can try the steering again, just don't rotate it round and round

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awsom, ok wel ive looked at the steering uj everything seems ok, im gonna greese the lower bearing in a min, have noticed that the spin clip is actualy rubbing itself? maybe a new 1 would help?

thanks 4 the barral link il look in2 that after steering is sorted.

also... the car is lowered bout 40mm, need new shocks at the front 4 m.o.t next week. what the best way forward with them keeping in mind price, handling and ride.?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right then still no luck with my steering colume.. stil very stiff greesed and both bearings checked uj? im lost 4 ideas?!!!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You shouldn't generally spin the steering wheel round too much on most cars with airbags if the UJ or similar is off as you can damage the airbag squib wiring.

I would remove one end of the UJ if I wanted to test the UJ out. You will be OK turning the steering wheel slightly left and right as long as you centralise it again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had a similar problem.

You need to get some Triflow lubricant or similar (not WD40) its will not last. Lift the bonnet and look at the steering column. You need to spray the lub up into the bearing where the steering coulum goes through the bulk head. Also give the two joints between the bulk head and the steering rack a good spray with some Triflow or similar lub spray as well. Triflow lubricant was the only lub that I used that penetrated into the bearing and joints enough to work and I tried all sorts of different lubricants.
Don't forget to clean all the old grease off first. So that the lub can penetrate properly or you will be wasting your time spraying.

This sorted all my problems out. :thumbsup
Let me know how you get on.
Sorry if I haven't explained this too good as I'm suffering with a really bad migraine headache this morning.

Hope it works for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts