BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i am new to this site and to the pleasure of driving a bm, i have a E36 323i se, 1998 saloon, it has an aftermarket head unit fitted ( sony ) with a ten cd changer, everything works apart from am band on the radio, as i said i am new, can anyone offer an insight into the reason why? i have checked at the rear of the head unit, the main aerial cable is fitted, but i noticed a smaller co-ax that was hanging lose, not wanting to cause any damage to my pride and joy i left well alone, thankyou in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
first thing is your aerial attached to your car?Shoulld be on the rear window in the middle at the top.
Then there is a panel behind the rear seat on the passenger side-inside is the aerial booster-You want to check thats all ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thicko alert, i had a look at the rear screen to be honest not sure what i was looking for, i beleive the aerial runs through the rear screen heater matrix, i also had a look behind the carpet attached to the rear seats, all i could see was a thin co-ax cable running up towards the screen, sorry if im being a pain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It does but you need an actual aerial on the screen its self which improves reception-you can't miss it it should be stuck on the outside of the rear screen-if this is missing you wont get good reception.......:thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that, it now makes sense, you know whats next... where can i get one, does it just affix to the outside of the screen, also the thin co-ax that is dangling behind my head unit, does that have to be wired up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What head unit you have and could you post a pic up?
I would think you can get one from Quarry Motors used or new from GSF or eurocarparts and it just sticks to the rear screen at the top in the middle.........:thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi sorry i dont think i explained very well, the thick co ax is plugged into the aerial socket, what i have dangling is a thin co-ax, that has a silver connector with amp stamped into the back, do i need to wire this up, i have checked GSF they have aerials available, sorry to keep hassling you

·
Registered
205 Posts
So have you got radio reception yet?

Just fitted an Alpine aftermarket headunit to mine and had no radio reception.

turns out the White wire needs to be hooked up to the 'electric antenna' wire on the headunit (on my Alpine is is blue and white but clearly marked). The Aerials on the car needs power as it's an amplified system.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I thought the stick on aerial was only for better telephone reception. The e36 doesnt come as standard witht that extra aerial so I would try Mikes wire suggestion before buying :)

Class--

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought the stick on aerial was only for better telephone reception. The e36 doesnt come as standard witht that extra aerial so I would try Mikes wire suggestion before buying :)

Class--
Sorry mate-you've been misinformed look at the links I provided which is standard equipment on his model.It definately comes with an antennae and if you look at his photo you'll see that its wired in correctly-if he has used the correct adaptor.
-E36 comes with antennae as standard or else no-one would get radio...........:frown
Although have been looking through photo's of E36 and can't see an antennae although I definately have one on mine and when it came off I lost radio and got it back when I reattached the antennae

·
Administrator
4,163 Posts
So have you got radio reception yet?

Just fitted an Alpine aftermarket headunit to mine and had no radio reception.

turns out the White wire needs to be hooked up to the 'electric antenna' wire on the headunit (on my Alpine is is blue and white but clearly marked). The Aerials on the car needs power as it's an amplified system.

Hope this helps!
Was the same on my 1999 318is. Needed to wire in the signal booster to my aftermarket stereo to get radio reception. No external aerial etc.

Ian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts