BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anybody help please. After attempting to service my 1998 BMW 323I for the 1st time i have struck a problem.
I have drained all the engine oil from the car and i have screwed in the bolt into the sump ready to refill with clean oil but for some reason it will not tighten. The bolt does screw right in but just wont lock and just keeps turning. I have had a look at the bolt any the threading appears to be ok which makes me think its the sump itself.
Anybody got any ideas???
Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
you sure you have put the bolt in right as they can be abit of apain to put back in.If not then you have cross threaded it on the sump

Reactions: m_spa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt is definately in correctly and the bolt looks like new. could anything be damaged inside the sump?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You've probably pulled the alloy threads out of the sump, you will need to get the sump helicoiled or find a larger thread diameter and have the hole tapped bigger.(or get a new sump)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mines the same although mine will tighten up but not enough to stop it dripping, i'm having it helicoiled this weekend for £35 plus the cost of new oil. Mine is currently nipped up as tight as it will go and sealed in with gasket sealant which is working fine and has been for a few thousand miles.

Dont buy a new sump there's no need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know what size diameter is the plug? Cars at my parents so not able to check.
Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts