BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldnt find anything.

when the engine is at full temperature in this weather, in my opinion no condensation should be coming out of the exhaust, only small amounts when idling.

however my car has excessive amount of condensation coming out even when the engine is at its hottest, if im idling at lights i cant see anything out of my back window, yet cars around me have pretty much nothing coming out of theres.

then when i get moving there is still excessive condensation coming out the exhaust no matter what gear, revs or speed im doing.

I first suspected headgasket however i am losing no water, no over heating, no cream in oil cap and no loss of power.
out of curiosity i decided to unplug my MAF with the engine running (ive heard on here that doing so will make the engine run like a bag of bolts, this will show you its working properly) when i unplugged it the engine made a very very slight shudder then carried on idling normally, when i plugged it back in the engine didnt change.

Can someone help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are worried have a block test done-Costs around £40 for the kit on fleecebay.:thumbsup BMW do tend to have lots of condensation coming out the exhaust though-I know mine does.

If you unplug the MAF it won't run like a bag of nails.If your MAF is duff it will run like a bag of nails

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
If you unplug the MAF it won't run like a bag of nails.If your MAF is duff it will run like a bag of nails
As Stk said - The ECU will revert to a "standard" table for the values it should see from the MAF, and it'll inject the amount of fuel needed with the help of this table and other sensors.

Compression test it, but if it's not using water, I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i replaced the coolant in September and i checked tonight and it is still bang on the line, not a drop of water lost. i replaced the rocker cover gasket at same time.

If i see shed loads of condensation pouring out my exhaust even under hard acceleration it pops in my mind something is wrong.

And excessive condensation is the sign of a good engine?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had this in my 328i, i was well paranoid for ages and asking everyone questions about it.. I was told to take it for a good long spirited drive to burn off the condensation and it's been fine since.. they do steam loads in colder weather if only used for short trips every day, and i used to sit in traffic looking at other cars around me not doing it thinking ohhh god it's going to cost me loads to fix if it's a head gasget.. but a good 30-40 mile blast sorted it..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well on 28th December i went to Manchester and back and i gave it some stick on the motorway, didnt realy make much difference if im honest.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm recon im just been paranoid again, bloody car will be the death of me with worry.

temp needle is smack bang in the middle where it always is.

sorry for wasting your time. but thank you all for the input. :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
ts nothing to worry about all cars have condensation in this weather its the same principle when your cooking hot fumes hitting could air casues steam and condensation the only time you should worry about white exhaust smoke is in the summer if you ge it then after 10 mins of driving then worry in this weather its just the norm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I know in the cold its normal, as its the same principle as breathing... but when i compare my car to others around me, mine seems to have triple the amount coming out.

But as everyone has said on here its nothing to worry about, its just me been paranoid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine does it to and i also have a stainless steel exhaust! Seems to be worse wen i been sitting somewhere waiting in cold damp night then start it back up and there is loads but once i give it a run out all goes till its left standing again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts