BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi eveyone!

I've just bought a 1998 318is coupe (which I think I may have fallen in love with:D) and in the week or so that I've had it, I've noticed 1 or 2 things which I'd like some advice on. This is my first car and although I'm more than happy to get my hands dirty, all I've got to go on is a Haynes manual and any info I can get from this forum, therefore my current experience and knowledge is limited to say the least.

Appologies if I've posted this in the wrong place and that it's not a very specific post, but I'm hoping that people might at least be able to point me in the direction of other posts (although I have had a fairly good look) which may answer my questions!

So without further ado, here we go!

1) When I first got the car it would intermittently fail to start. I knew the car had been left standing for a few months before I bought it and thought it was just the battery. I hooked it up to a charger (which confirmed the battery was fairly flat) until it was charged, but when I went to get some new tyres put on the rear the following day, it did it again. The guys at the garage told me it was probably the starter motor on its way out, but following a long 2hr drive, the problem seems to have gone away!

Is it likely that the battery just needed a decent run and the starter motor is fine, or could this be something which is likely to recur?

2) I had the rear tyres replaced as they were fairly well worn and noticed the passenger side rear tyre was very unevenly worn. The outside was more than legal in depth but the inside was almost down to the canvas!

Is this a known issue with this car or could this be a sign that something untoward is going on? I suspect that as this is an 11yr old car (with nearly 200k on the clock:eek) that it's just wear and tear on the suspension (or something like that) but it would be nice to know if anyone else has had a similar experience?

3) and finally...I've only got a single set of keys which is OK, but obviously it would be nice to have a spare set for when I ineviatbly misplace them! I went to a key cutting place and was told it would cost £30 per key which seems extortionate! He also seemed to think it needed electronically coding in some machine but I was under then impression this was only necessary for vehicles with remote locking (which mine either doesn't have or is broken!).

Is that right or can I simply get a new one cut on the cheap without needing anything special (my girlfriend had her k reg VW polo keys done for £6 a pop!)?

Again, I appologise for the obscurity and range of issues here but I thought it might be better to post it all in one go rather than put three seperate posts all of which probably would have been in the wrong place!:embarrassed I'm sure I've displayed a fairly good lack of knowledge so please feel free to mock my n00bishness!:hihi

Thanks in advance!

Adski13

·
Registered
354 Posts
the key's are 30 quid from the dealler. i know this because my key's are like yours and i only got one set as well and they don't need any chip. at least not to my knowledge. has to the starter thing it probably was ecause your baterry wasn't fully charged, believe me i have acar in another country that i drive evry 2-3 months and the first two day's he play's jokes on me like that. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought the cars after 95 had chipped keys, i work in a bike shop and most chipped keys are 25-30 quid then you need the key cut and programmed. You'll have to either get a new fob and blade or if you just want a key get it cut and programmed, i don't know if you have a Gem Security near you but they have always done a cracking job when ive needed anything for cars or bikes.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
1)-is it still doing it after your long run?...maybe a service would help if you dont know the last time the plugs were changed.

2)-the bushes on the trailing arms go soft very easily...try replacing with urethane bushes then getting the car 4 wheel aligned ;)

3)-answered?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.