BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with an aftermarket alarm which on first impressions works absolutely perfectly.

However I noticed the other day that locking on the fob is not locking the fuel flap. Locking with the key still does and I can then use the fob to arm the alarm but that kind of defeats the purpose of remote locking.

Is there something simple that was missed when the alarm was fitted. I've done a quick search but struggled to find anything relevant.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Yes, something simple was missed at installation.

The fuel filler cap only locks when the car is double locked. So if you only use your alarm to lock the car, it's never deadlocked - The alarm needs to do an lock and unlock pulse together to set the deadlocks, which in turn also locks the fuel filler cap.

The way to fix it, is to get yourself a diode, and hook it in between the lock and unlock wires, so when you press the lock button on your fob, it also sends a pulse down the unlock wire to tell the ZKE to deadlock !

HTH.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Genius. Thanks for that

For the idiots (i.e. me) I presume the ZKE is behind the glove box, is that right? Also do you know or have a link to information on which wires I need to connect with the diode.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also for anybody whos interested this thread http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/1997-e36-m3-petrol-flap-locking-not-working-t77434/ covers it in some detail. My Ninja search skills obviously failed me earlier :) although that thread was a fair few pages down the results.

I'm gonna have to say thanks again to Ferret as lo and behold its your posts on that old thread that helped the most. I'm guessing you're the resident alarm expert then?

Cheers once again, guess a trip to maplins is on the cards for a few diodes. Might leave it til my OBC arrives and live with it for the moment.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I'm no alarm expert mate :hihi
I just had an aftermarket alarm on mine which had been professionally fitted, but they hadn't wired the alarm up to double lock (aswell as locking the petrol flap).

At the time I had the same problem, no one could tell me why I couldn't lock the petrol flap, even trying 3 different solenoids that I knew worked, and couldn't find a wiring fault, so had to figure it out myself - Then one day, by chance, I locked the door with the key while at the petrol station (as I always used to use the alarm fob), and I then found out my petrol flap was locked. Then I figured what to do from there.

And glad I've helped you - If you need a hand locating the wires for the lock and unlock, just give me a shout.

Ferret !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I have another question, I've been wanting to do the mod to add a lock switch on the centre console, probably using a spare TSC button for the OEM look. I like the idea for when my wife drives the car with the kids in the bac and her handbag in the passenger footwell. The Audi A2 she mainly drives has the anti hi-jack locking on it, but a button would do.

I've just realised that if I do that the added diode will mean the button would deadlock the car and you'd be locked in, could be disasterous.

I think my thinking is correct that 2 diodes wired up as the attached will have the desired effect, can someone check I'm not going bonkers please

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
With the ignition on, the car won't deadlock :thumbsup

I also believe the ZKE sends an unlock signal in a crash, but I've never tested this theory.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jimbob just out of curiosity is your plug youve attacthed your wires to a purple one?? if so what number wires did you use? If it was 17did it have a pin already there as mine doesnt cheers Lee

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jimbob just out of curiosity is your plug youve attacthed your wires to a purple one?? if so what number wires did you use? If it was 17did it have a pin already there as mine doesnt cheers Lee
For the central locking mod you do add a wire to pin 17 on the purple (or yellow in some) plug. Wire a ''push-to-make'' switch to 12v and the pin and you're done!

I've found this thread very useful as I have been wondering lately why the petrol flap locked on the key but not the remote central locking!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a clue as I haven't done the mod yet. I am fixing the locking issue with the diode, doing the locking button mod and installing an OBC as soon as the OBC I've bought arrives.

I was tempted to fix the alarm issue but figured theres no point doing that and reassembling my car only to dismantle it all again a week later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not a clue as I haven't done the mod yet. I am fixing the locking issue with the diode, doing the locking button mod and installing an OBC as soon as the OBC I've bought arrives.

I was tempted to fix the alarm issue but figured theres no point doing that and reassembling my car only to dismantle it all again a week later.
Figured it out,the total closure wire goes to pin 17 once lock is pressed on fob the windows and s/roof close aswell:Dhappy days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts