BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few questions about the 1998 E36 318i my g/f has just got :-

1. Would this car have had an alarm as standard ?. We don't have remote central locking on it, just key central locking but there are no flashing lights or anything to indicate it has an alarm. How could I find out ?, leave the window open, then lock the door and try to unlock it from the inside ?. (that works on my own car).

2. Our's is black around the sills and bottom of the bumpers whilst the rest of the car is silver. According to the log book, it is an SE model (it's got front fogs and one of those auto dimming rear view mirrors so seemed well specced) but I have seen lots of other 318i's, some that are older than ours and more basic and they have the same colour all over - why is this ?. I've hardly seen any other's that are like ours with the black around the bottom.

3. When I turn on the rear fog light, only one light comes on, on the drivers side. Is this normal, or has one of the bulbs gone ?. I would have expected a BMW to have 2 fog lights at the back - it isn't a ford/vauxhall after all !!.

Answers on a postcard please....

:thumbsup

Oh and whats with the profile on the tyres - they are like dragster tyres !!.

:lol

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
1) Is there a siren under the bonnet?

2) I think you'll find the colour coding was an optional extra:confused Have you double checked all the details of the car against the log book?

3) There are two fogs on beemers, first thing is to obviously check the bulb:thumbsup

Please post your progress:thumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Is there a siren under the bonnet?
Had a look, couldn't see one. Tried leaving the windows open and opening the lock from the inside, but it wouldn't open with the c/l locked. the only door that I could open was the rear drivers side door, where the c/l isn't working. Didn't set off the alarm, so I assume it must not have one which is surprising it wasn't a standard fit item back in 1998 as they were on almost all other makes - even back then, but then I suppose it is a BMW after all and they do like to charge for the "extras" !!.

2) I think you'll find the colour coding was an optional extra Have you double checked all the details of the car against the log book?
Log book has it down as a 318i SE, no other indications on the car other than the 318i badge on the boot.

3) There are two fogs on beemers, first thing is to obviously check the bulb
Did that, took the bulbs out and swapped them over, and it is still only working on the drivers side - both bulbs are working. Checked the fuses too, and they are all fine.

I have managed to fix the bulb that lights up the heater controls though, so that's one job ticked off the list !!. Although after I had dismantled half the dash, and put it back together again, I did wonder if I could have just taken the front off the heater controls, and pulled the bulb straight out without all the dismantling ?? - Oh well it's done now anyway !!.

:)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Not all e36s had twin rear fog lights, you obviously are one of them :hihi

Seen it plenty of times, at least people won't get your fogs and brake lights mixed up :cool

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.