BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Im new to this site so I hope im posting in the right place. I have a loud ticking noise coming from the engine of my car. Sounds like tappets and increases in speed with engine rpm. If I rev to over 5000 rpm the ticking becomes a rattle. Ive taken the head off and im told the cam looks fine. Ive replaced all the cam followers and the timing chain tensioner. Im thinking it might be smallend bearings but any mechanic that listens to the noise says no, it doesnt sound like that to them. Any ideas as to what it might be?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I've retitled the thread and moved it to the correct forum for you:thumbsup

You mention it sounds like tappets but there's no mention as to whether or not you've replaced them whilst listing the chain tensioners and cam followers:confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you tried holding a screwdriver against where you think the rattle is from or several different places, then put your ear to the screwdriver handle and listened for where the rattle is loudest?

You also sure it's not the water pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas so far. Ive hooked up a strobe light and the noise is in time with the light which suggests its in the top end. Ive used a screwdriver to listen to the noise and it is more pronounced toward the back of the engine, No 4 cylinder. Im now thinking a faulty follower although they are all new or could it be a valve? Would the follower or the valve cause the loud rattle at high rpm?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You don't mention the hydraulic tappets being replaced, if they were not then the one that compresses easy when a screwdriver is pushed on top of it is the one that is knackered

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.