BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1998 E36 316i, boot lock problems

Right this is abit of a weird one basically since i have had my car my key will not turn in the barrel of the boot lock im thinking the last owner may have switched the boot lid before sale due to damage or something and not swapped the lock over.
if this being the case or even if it is broken what is my best and cheapest option?
the only 2 things i can think of is to go scrappy see if they will sell me a new lock and a key or to fit a boot popper?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Your lock will be fine and you wont need a replacment i had the same issue with mine it would turn at all so i removed the lock and soaked it wd40 and applied a little grease on the back and now it works just fine.

I found alot of corrosion on the rear of the lock which stopped it turning

Reactions: jonnydrum89

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
My last 2 E36's have had seized boot locks due to crap getting in them and seizing them as they just don't get used.

My current car took me the best part of an hour to free up, I was going to give up thinking it really is the wrong lock, but with a load of banging it against a brick wall, it slowly free'd up.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Is it they grey key? If so it is the valet key and doesn't work the boot lock or the glovebox. Read your handbook!
Mine turns without the mastey as i dont have a master key just the everyday one? BMW writting porky pies in there handbook?

p.s the boot already has a popper on it for the central locking

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just have 2 of the grooved ones that are identical and lock my glove box but neither work on boot so im guessing it has seized

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
so thats the master key I was under the impression that was the normal everyday key, Ithought number 1 was the master and the rest just the norm but looking at the manual again it does say it has 2 master keys

Reactions: jonnydrum89
1 - 11 of 11 Posts