BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post on the forum!

We've got an old touring 318i with 400000km on the clock (and a sedan with about 350k, both owned for over 9 years)

It's recently developed some alarming faults. The rear jumps all over the road and the car doesn't feel at all sure footed like before. The land rover feels safer at 60mph than the bmw which is ridiculous (if you've owned a series landy before you'll know what I'm talking about!).

It looks like the rear wheels have execessive camber (tops turning inwards) and it chewed up new rear tyres in 5000km.

I changed the shocks but that hasn't helped. Should the rear springs be next? I can only find lowered springs on fleabay, etc. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, could you please remember to add the vehicle details and a informative title in the Thread Title next time as per forum rules please http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-rules-t76199/, the Thread title has been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions if they have the same car.

Check for broken rear road springs and also check the rear trailing arm bushes.

YouTube - BMW E36 323is Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Failure
Will do! Thanks for that. Will have a look in the light

Thanks again!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Also be worth checking the subframe bushes and the floor around the subframe bush mounts. Seen the floor crack before. :frown

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bush centre is sticking out by an inch on one side! Have ordered new parts. Hope it does the trick! Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all,

I fitted new rear trailing arm bushes, took me about half a day. Just put new michelins on this morning and the car drives great!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Eli

Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi mate how hard was it to do your bushes as I have the same problem with the wifes BMW 316 and was looking for some pointers.
Thanx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi mate how hard was it to do your bushes as I have the same problem with the wifes BMW 316 and was looking for some pointers.
Thanx
Much easier than Land Rover chassis bushes!

The bushes on the bmw had pretty much fallen apart so the rubber just slid out. I used an electric saw with an blade for cutting aluminium to carefully cut a flap the length of the remaining outer bush casing and a cold chisel to prise the flap out.

Fitting the new bushes was a case of finding the right thick washers and using a gas bottle top and a 50mm lorry socket to assemble a homemade puller.

It took me half a day, with my dad helping out from time to time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheers mate will be doing them at the weekend,not so worried about getting them out as they have fallen to pieces already,I was more concerned about gettin the new ones in.But I have got a fitter from work to make us a puller.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the same job on my e36 318i saloon this weekend in under 3 hours start to finish. Thanks again to this forum for the helping hand!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts