BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi was on here about 6 weeks ago when it was confirmed that my head gasket had gone, i had the head skimmed and pressure tested. I had a few problems with it overheating to start with but then it setteled down. a few weeks ago it started to overheat again and the heaters went cooler, not cold but just luke warm. It only overheats on tickover and if i give it some revs it comes back down again the fan works because when i turn the air-con on it comes on and also ithas had a new fan swithch when i did the head, so i changed the heater controll valve bled the system but still warm heaters and overheating, i have bled and bled and bled but still the same, sometimes the haters get hot its doing my head in and amy ideas would be very helpful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention the hoses are pressurising and if i let it run with the cap off it boils over before the fan comes in

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just been out again to try and bleed it no bubbles coming out of rad but when i squeeze the pipes it sounds like there is still air in the system, ran it up for 15mins top hose hot and bottom hose cold and no heaters??? i have followed the 7 rules to the word could it be that i have just got an awkward air lock??

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Does your car have a viscous fan?

If so, then have you checked that it has enough resistance when its is spinning at idle?

Also, as Ronnie said, I think you should get another block test done on the car.

If the the car has had major work in the last few weeks and its playing up then I would send it back to the shop mate and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its an electronic fan, did all of the work myself just got the head sent off for repair, will get it tested just keep my fingers crossed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is indeed the head gasket, is it worth phoneing the company that did the head work and asking for my money back? its never run rite since it went back together, also what engine model is mine build date jan 1998 gonna put a brand new second hand one to be on the safe side. cheers

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
it is indeed the head gasket, is it worth phoneing the company that did the head work and asking for my money back? its never run rite since it went back together, also what engine model is mine build date jan 1998 gonna put a brand new second hand one to be on the safe side. cheers

I doubt it dude............since they did not put the car together.

I take it all they did was a skim and pressure test...............other factors could have contributed to the failure- dodgy headgasket, failed headbolts, other components, etc.

Just wondering mate.......... which head gasket did you use? did you replace the headbolts, torque them up properly and did u clean out all the headbolt threads from oil and crap?.............not being funny or anything, just trying to figure out what could have gone wrong:thumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they did a pressure test, skim and replaced a cracked exhaust valve, i used a head set from my local factors £50ish, replaced the bolts, torqued them up in order to correct setting and blew all of the holes out with an air line. know what ur saying no offence taken, its puzzled me to!!!! it has never stayed at a constant heat since it was all done i thought it was down to an air lock that wouldnt shift, but finaly got to the bottom of it. any ideas would be great

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
is it worth getting the head done again or replacing with another??

To be honset mate..............if this was my car then I would probably stick a good second hand lump in they go for around 200 ish on ebay...........we got hold of one with 80k on the clock with a 3 months warranty for 250 last month.........cant complian!!

Oh!.......sorry Gordan..."can't" complain:D

could be a prob with the block?? as u said could be a prob with the head, too many factors involved.......its all depends on what you're prepared to do and time.........if it happend to me- I'd stick another engine in:mad

....................2 years back we did a vauxhall, cough, cough...........got the head rebuilt, put it together, 3 weeks later the car over heated, did not know what was going on, anyway took the head off sent back to the engineers- guess what?? they had drilled one of the manifold threads too deep and it had cracked the water jacket!!??.........certainly did not use them again!!.............so, yeah- you could try ripping it apart and have it inspected by the engineers under warranty and then see what happens before u go down the new engine route

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cant afford that much at the mo, how much am i lookin at for a second hand head? and where is the best place to get one from? looked on ebay and thre is one for the older engine for £50

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
cant afford that much at the mo, how much am i lookin at for a second hand head? and where is the best place to get one from? looked on ebay and thre is one for the older engine for £50

to be honest mate...........lets put it this way...........you buy a head for £50, another head gasket and head bolt set, that;s probably another £50, then I certainly would not put that head on the car without a skim and pressure test, whcih could cost upto £100 at some places- now that's already £200.

And if you do have a prob with the block then your stuffed dude- that's another £200 down the pan.

wot u reckon?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just had a butchers at the workshop.............

I still have a complete Cylinder Head from a 1.9 M43 TU lump, this was removed from a car that had bottom end failure..............the head was reconditioned by the previous customer a few months prior ans is in excellent condition.

don't know if the head from the 1.9 M43 and 1.9 M43TU are the same- I have a feeling that they are but maybe Ronnie or one of the other BMW boffins know.

If you want to go down the route of a head replacement, Which I would'nt mate, then gimme a shout and we'll sort something out............probably let u have it for 50 squids

BUT, Pleased note:

If you are interested:

- we accept payment via MoneyGram or by POSTAL ORDERS only

- cash on collection NOT possible.

- Item description May not be accurate and we, as the seller's, takes no responsibilty...................there is a chance you'll receive an item off an old Lawn mower we have................if we decide to send it that is.

- Library pics available on request.

ok, ok.........it was worth a try man...............business is a bit slow at the mo:D

If you need it then gimme a shout mate- we'll sort u out

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mine is the 1600cc engine unfortunately, thank you for trying. gonna start stripping it tomorrow night and see what i find

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.