BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 1998 E36 316i saloon and it has 3 minor problems that need fixing.

1. Central Locking is not working on the rear drivers side door.

2. One of the headlights is full of condensation on the inside of the glass.

3. The clock doesn't work.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated, as I'm new to BMW's - this is our first one and not sure where to start with it.

:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Foggy headlights are a common problem and there is a number of threads on the forum discussing this:thumbsup

Central locking, check for broken wires where the loom passes from the vehicle to the bootlid as these are prone to breaking and causing exposed wires to touch and cause electrical upsets within the vehicle. Once checked, move your attention to the actuator on that particular door:thumbsup

As for the clock, check all fuses in the fuse box and then check the connections on the back of the clock. Check for power to the clock:thumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just discovered tonight that the bulbs have gone behind the heater controls too, as I hadn't driven it since we got it, so thats another job to do !!. Is there a how too guide on this ?. Spent ages trying to search and looking through the various sections but can't find anything about how to change the dash light bulbs !!!.

Cheers for the tips btw.

The clock is a bit of a weird one, as it does work sometimes. It stops for ages, then just starts working again. I've not paid it enough attention yet (first time I've been allowed near it today) to work out how long it is stopping and starting for.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just realied today after trying to have a tinker with the car to do some of the jobs, that it is actually a 318i !!. Doh !!.

So far, I tried leaving the lights on to dry the condensation out, but it has only cleared it right in front of the beam, where it was hottest, still got it round the edges so looks like I'll have to take the unit out.

I managed to get the light on the clock working, but it still isn't keeping time.

I tried getting the heater controls out to change the bulb. After removing the knobs and undoing the screws, and the font panel just came right off, I thought it was going to be nice and easy !!. WRONG !!. Ended up having to take the stereo out, then the big vent above it, but still could not get the flaming thing out, as there was 1 screw that I just could not get out due to the lact of space so ended up putting it back together without actually fixing it !!. How are you supposed to change that bulb without removing the whole dash ?. Removing the stereo and re-fitting it had a positive effect though, as the balance/fader is now set properly !!.

I then had a look at the wires between the boot lid, but as it is double sheathed I couldn't see the middle part, only a tiny bit at each end.

I took the trim off the rear door, but nothing obviously wrong that I could see, wiring al looked ok but not sure where the central locking actuator (or whatever it's official name is) is located.

Lastly, I noticed one of the rear grab handles was upside down, so whilst I had it off, I unpeeled the roof lining to have a look at this horrible nasty little bee sting type aerial that someone decided to fit so I could get a new one at some point, but couldn't get the rear 3/4 trim panel back on properly - ended up breaking off all the little lugs as they were so brittle !!

All in all, spent about 4 hours tinkering, and have only acheived getting the clock light to work, and the stereo to sound to come out of all the speakers, and breaking the rear 3/4 trim !!.

:)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
HTML:
So far, I tried leaving the lights on to dry the condensation out, but it has only cleared it right in front of the beam, where it was hottest,
Using masking tape secure a cardboard shield in front of the lens so that heat stays inside the headlamp

HTML:
I managed to get the light on the clock working, but it still isn't keeping time.
Sounds as though power to the clock is being interrupted, Could be a bad earth?

HTML:
I then had a look at the wires between the boot lid, but as it is double sheathed I couldn't see the middle part, only a tiny bit at each end.
I looked at mine the other weekend and the sheath just slid back. There was a reinforced bit that was about 2" in length but I was able to peel it back almost to the bottom. The breaks occur half way down that part of the loom where it bends:thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.