BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i'm new to this so please bear with me.

I've been having problems on off for the last few months with the idling on my E36 coupe. The revs seem to have a mind of their own and intermitanly when sitting at a stand still increase or decrease by about 300 in either direction. In the main under braking the rev couter does 1 of 2 things, increase to 2000 ish and stay there until i come to a stop then gradulally reduce to where they should be, or under braking decrease to about 400 with the car struggling to not cut out. After a short while it returns to its normal idling position.

I've changed my CAT and lamba sensor about 1 year ago so i can't see that it could be those causing the issues. Has anyone experienced this and could anyone provide any feedback as to what it may be.

Considering the car is only 1.6 engine i seem to be going through a lot of fuel, i would say about 40 miles for £10. Given that fuel has decreased in price, i don't think this is anywhere near correct. The car is also quite sluggish.

Many thanks.
Roppa

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
An ideal place to start would be to have your fault codes read at an independant diagnostic centre. This is wise as it will immediately help you and us to find the root cause of your problem.

I would definately clean out your ICV (idle control valve), clean out yuor crankcase ventiallation pipe, and check all breathers an vacuum lines/hoses for splits and leaks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
TBH I had a similar fault on my 97' (R) 316i Saloon, have you checked the concertina'd air intake hose for splits, mine was caused by the engine moving as it revved and torqued, and it opened the split then and made the cars rev's go mad and then it would cut out completely usually coming to a standstill shifting into 1st. It cost 11 quid to fix......

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was at my local BMW dealer parts counter at lunchtime and I nearly laughed out loud when the partsman said to the guy in front of me that he had the part in stock and then handed him an E36 air intake hose!

If your BMW splutters, or fails to start, and it hasnt had a new one of these in the last 6 or so years then this is where you look first. It was the same with the E30. They are about £33 each.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your BMW splutters, or fails to start, and it hasnt had a new one of these in the last 6 or so years then this is where you look first. It was the same with the E30. They are about £33 each.
Duct tape is cheaper :hihi

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used black leccy tape, but the principles the same, although I changed mine ASAP as I like my engine bay to look clean......

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
under braking the rev couter does 1 of 2 things, increase to 2000 ish and stay there until i come to a stop then gradulally reduce to where they should be, or under braking decrease to about 400 with the car struggling to not cut out. After a short while it returns to its normal idling position.

i know this isn't going to be the cause of your problem but i think its worth a mention,
i had a similar problem with increasing revs when braking, it turned out that my heavy duty car mat had slipped forward onto the accellerator pedal causing the revs to stay around the 2k mark :duh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts