BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1998 E36 316i Compact - New user!;) coilovers??

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  pantidropper 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi folks I'm all new to this forum:) I have got an E36 316 compact, I'm just thinking about lowering it but not sure wether to use springs or coilovers? Any help would be appreciated!;)

#5 ·
That's helpful! Do you know what kind of coilovers I should go for? I have 18" m tech Alloys just now!
He's right, but to each his own, you can't get as low on springs as coilovers, plus if you spend enough you can adjust height to whatever suits you. I personally use KW V2's. They are pretty stiff, I can sit on the car and it doesnt budge. I also have 19"'s so it's pretty useful, it all depends on what you plan to use the car for and what budget you have. I didn't pay for mine, they were pre-installed but KW are pretty expensive. They make cheaper ones that do the trick though.

#4 ·
Personally the only time I would go for coilovers is if I was using the car as a track toy...You can get decent shocks and lowering springs and get a cool looking lowered car with a much better comfort than a car on coilovers.However don't let that put you off,many people use coilovers and are very happy with them :thumbsup

My perfect set-up would be eibach springs with bilstein shocks :cool

#6 ·
I've just had KW springs and shocks fitted to mine, and although it's not quite as comfortable as the standard setup it certainly does aid the performance of the vehicle. The car is now much stiffer and handles the road impressively with minimal body roll. Even the drop is perfect! Worth mentioning I also have an E36 316 Compact. Check my project thread later on today as I'll have a fair few pics to upload... :thumbsup

#7 ·
Also with coilovers if ya dont want it lowwer or higher you got the choice to adjust if you change wheels, where if you do get springs and shocks you cant change anything if ya board etc and means spending more money. Me i would go for coilys everytime. let us all know how ya get on tho.

#8 ·
My honest opinion is springs unless you're going to spend decent money on fully adjustable coilovers. KW v2's are a rare thing on here and I know for my car they would cost around £1200 which is roughly £1000 more than most choose to spend. While I know of some who have had great results from budget coilovers there are many who have not.

#10 ·
im using fk coilovers on my bmw. yes its stiffer and you can notice alot more bumpers, but i cant fault them. ive done alot of miles now with them and been faultless even smashed the odd pothole and they are still fine.

i wanted my own ride hight to sute me and its done the job fine :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.