BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:frownMy wife left for work this morning as usual in her "T" Reg 316 compact , but 10 mins later i get a call . I knew as soon as i saw her name on the phone she had broken down.
Now on the plus side she works for a family run recovery company and the owner shot down in his mercedes to let her keep warm till the truck arrived .
Really nice gesture i might add.
Anyway after inspection it turns out the heater matrix pipe has corroded and broken , not leaving enough pipe for a repair . So 1st opinion is new matrix.
My first question is : Is this a big job , when i say big job , is it dash out and half engine out and 3 mechanics 3 days work type of big job . or is BMW build quality capable of allowing such a repair with ease meaning reasonable garage fees.
My second question is : How do i determine which type of matrix i need to buy if it was a job i could do myself .

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NealP
Wow , is that a scary looking job or what . Although in saying that , if i could get the car inside to do it then id probably have a go to save myself the couple of hundred quid i expect it would cost in a garage.
Just take a day off work and get stuck in .
Has anyone any real experience for a guide to time scale .

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I've never done one so like in Dragons Den............

I'm out :rofl

I will look at the book time tmrw for you :thumbsup

·
Registered
313 Posts
hiya mate. i might have to do this job myself. i have seen the matrix priced around 50 odd squids. i think i have a pinhole leak cuz i don't smell nething without the heat blowing through the core, and then if there's a bit evaporating it gets blown into the cabin, resulting in sweet sickly whiff now and again but not all the time. it could be a matrix control valve, pipe, or the matrix itself. having said that, i have a blocked drain from the drip tray but i think that blockage would result in a smelly locker room smell, not the hard stuff (coolant), would i be right in thinking this anyone care to chip in??

in haynes, it says only centre console out and glove so take that link with a pincha salt. having said that, i haven't done the job myself yet.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno if this makes much difference but someone edited my post before moving it here to the 3 series section . I dont know if my wifes car is correct in the title . I wrote 316 compact and it was edited to E36 316ti , will this make any difference to the info i might receive.
Sorry for being such a noob.. :embarrassed

·
Registered
313 Posts
anyone care to chip in and tell me if a blocked drain would mean a coolant smell from the heater core fan blowing into the cabin?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts