BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi for the past few weeks there has been an intermittent grinding noise coming from just behind the steering wheel, more when i go lock to lock there is also a constant squeaking noise when turning the wheel? any ideas would be a great help cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
are you losing any fluid? is there any unusual resistance when going lock to lock?
had that on me vectra just before the steering rack gave up..

·
Registered
225 Posts
you've just reminded me to check the power steering fluid. it's the least checked but just as important as the rest of them!
:thumbsup

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds like what i had, although mine squeeked quite alot. I sprayed the upper & lower column bearings with Tri-Flow lube. Upper is behind the steering wheel, so you'll have to take it off. The lower is just up from the exhaust manifold as it comes through the bulk head, try giving them a good soaking with something other than WD40 (as it washes away quite easily), something with PTFE or similar ingredient. Mine took about a week after spraying to totally disappear, and its been fine for about 4 months now.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you've got an airbag, disconnect the battery & leave the car for 15 minutes or so. There will be torx screws on the rear of the wheel to unscrew & release the airbag, disconnect it once released. Remove the large nut on the end of the column that holds the wheel. If the wheel is tight on the spline, pop the nut back on a few threads (to stop it flying off & hitting your face! been there, done that.....), knock the wheel from behind or grab hold & push/pull at the sides. Some steering wheels can be a nightmare to get off. If this is the case, mark the spline so you've got an alignment marker when you put it back on, and take some real aggression out on the wheel, it WILL come off! (Although i didnt get this trouble with mine)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.