BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,I have just become the proud owner of a '98 535 auto:)Had it for two weeks but it has developed a couple of problems:confused
The radio has a mind of its own and will come on when it feels like it(this I can cope with)but the interior lights will all come on at any given time(I can turn them off but sometimes they will come straight back on again)This can get annoying but today I looked out of the window and the interior lights were doing their own thing while the car was locked on the drive:eek
The last and most worrying is that the wipers wont work on any setting and then for no aparrent reason they will work erratically!
Any help would be most appreciated as I dont relish the thought of sending it into an auto electrician:grumpy
Answers on a postcard please........

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
You need to check for damaged wires that run within the protective rubber sheath that goes from the car to the bootlid:thumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.Can you tell me where I could be finding this protective rubber sheath?and is there a specific place that gives trouble?Regards Nev

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
This is what it looks like on my touring

All you have to do is open the bootlid and look on the passenger side:thumbsup

Peel it back and check each wire for damage. They often break and make contact causing all kinds of weird and not so wonderful problems:frown

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many Thanks!Will have a look in the morning and post the results!Its nice to get prompt replies to questions(used to have a Scorpio 24v and it could take an age to get a reply to problems!)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
It's the first place I would be checking:thumbsup

Prompt replies are one of the reasons we are the Number One BMW Forum:rofl

There is also the case that we are SAD bar stewards that sit glued to the computer all day and night assisting others with their car problems:hihi

·
Registered
1 Posts
wiper motor/Interior lights

I had a similar problem with the radio, wipers & headlights coming on, have you looked in the boot?, on the left side there is a panel that covers the cd unit, pull it down & check for water. Mine has no cd unit & the two leads that power it were submerged in approx one inch of water. I dried it all out & all's well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!took car to garage and they looked at the data book and checked all the earth connections under the seat as the symptoms suggested an earth problem.still no different:mad are there any control modules that might need looking at?
The interior lights come on sometimes,the radio goes off,wipers dont work and I have found out that the display on the dash for showing fuel consumption will not work via the button on the indicator stalk!
there must be a common 'module' that connects these together as once the radio goes off the wipers etc are dead as well!Oh and to top it off the 'check brake lights'warning came on tonight and when I looked my brake lights are permanently on dazzling all the poor drivers behind me :frown
Any more ideas please:confused

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There , I know it's an old topic but i've got exactly the same problems with a 530 d sport 2002. Just wondering if you ever got to the source of the problem and if so how you got it sorted. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts