BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car, one of the jobs on the pre-delivery checklist for the dealer was to sort out the dodgy odometer - which was only displaying half the digits. Of course, he never did actually get it fixed and, to be honest, I thought there was little point in going back and complaining.

Being a practical sort, I set about it myself - following a fine online guide that I found on t'internet. Worringly, part of the procedure involves cutting a small 'access' hole in the black plastic cover on the rear of the SI board. When I read the guide, I did think to myself, "That's a bit dodgy; you could easily cut one of the circuit board tracks doing that".

Anyhoo, at the weekend, I set about the job. To cut a long story short, at some point, towards the end of last 'access panel' cut, guess what I did:duh

Notwitshatdning the two breached tracks, I re-soldered the display contacts and slipped it back in.

To be fair, the soldering job has really sorted out the display, however, the broken tracks have killed a couple of digits and one of the service indicator lights - so, lesson learned, the cluster will have to be changed.

Getting to the point, is it possible to simply 'plug and play' a cluster from another vehicle, or will it need coding? I'm pretty sure that the cluster on this model does not contain immobiliser data (in fact, I accidentally started the engine with the cluster removed). So, I'm guessing, it's just a case of finding a good one, plugging it in and then getting the mileage and service lights reset?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think you can just stick another one in, but obviously the mileage will read different to your own one. You can either try look for one with near enough the same mileage, or have someone come out to adjust it. Remember tho, 4 cylinder car's speedo's and 6 cylinder ones are different. You MUST get like for like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CharleyNokia.

Got my eye on a nice six cylinder one on ebay right now.

I did hear a rumor that the mileage stays with the car somehow - and that adding a lower mileage cluster will result in it 'pulling' the correct mileage from the external source.

I'm guessing, however, that this is probably no more than an urban myth?

Thanks again,

Ian.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hmmm, not sure then, probably someone will come along later to verify that for you, but as long as you get a 6 cylinder cluster, then that'll be fine. How much is the one on Ebay? I got a 6 cylinder one from Ebay a few months back for £20 posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a couple. They vary between £20 and £40 (plus about a tenner postage).

The one that I did have my eye on is actually no good. The seller tells me it's from a pre '96 car, so is different to mine.

I'll keep on looking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes - that hurt a bit.

Note to self - I must not sneeze, when making fine cuts around circuit boards!!!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Ian.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Watty.

Odd as it sounds, I could not recall if mine was a 150 or 160 MPH (sounds crazy, I know). I did look at the 160 ones, but thought those were probably M3 units.

The guy assures me that the one I'm getting is from a 323 - so should be a six pot. It's going right back, if not!!

Cheers again,

Ian.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it arrived today and, after a little fight with the connectors on the old one (they seemed harder to undo this time, for some reason) it is installed.

Needed a bulb switiching across from the old unit - as my car has towbar electrics fitted. But, aprt from that, it was a straight swap.

I'm happy to report that it's all working beautifully. Service and Inspection lights all reset (mine has just been serviced) and all it needs now is the mileage reset.

All in all, a close escape, methinks.

Thanks for the advice on this one.

Cheers,

Ian.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts