BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some help had a slight vibration from steering wheel at around 40 had the wheels replaced for 17 inch ones which has made the vibration worse. checked front suspention for play and only found slight movement in the lower arm rear bushes so replaced them this morning but they still move slightly and if any thing it's made the vibration worse.
the car is a 98 e36 318 touring thanks Jim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes mikey36 new wheels and tyres all balanced could feel it with the old wheels on just not as bad. think it is some thing on the suspention cause if i brake with my left foot it stops but there is no play in the ball joints. had a look on google and seems a lot of bmw's get it but no one seems to know how to sort it.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
What make of bushes did you fit and are the wheels standard to BMW? If the wheels are aftermarket and don't fit snug on the hub then you will need some spigot rings

·
Banned
478 Posts
yes mikey36 new wheels and tyres all balanced could feel it with the old wheels on just not as bad. think it is some thing on the suspention cause if i brake with my left foot it stops but there is no play in the ball joints. had a look on google and seems a lot of bmw's get it but no one seems to know how to sort it.
Did you lift both front wheels up and wobble the steering? sometimes with load on one of the wheels any play in the balljoint may not necessarily be obvious, but with both wheels up any play in the ball joint will appear...

also, i have spigot rings on my wheels to eliminate wheel wobble, which it has. Although my wheels are BMW wheels, they were'nt designed specifically for my car and casued 1 or 2 probs....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the wheel's are aftermarket but are the right fit for the hub and no need for spigot rings. it was there with the old wheels but could not notice it as much due to 60 profile tyres i would have thought. I cant rember the make of the bushes they were a german make from euro carparts who said they were the same make as bmw use. checked for play on turn plates and with it jacked up and cant find play in the ball joints. have noticed the outer ball joints are ruber mounted could it be movement in the ruber even tho the joint itself is not worn? all so has any one fitted ones that are not ruber mounted cause my car is lowered 50mm and now has 215/45/17 tyres but just dont seem as pointy as i would have thought spoke to a friend who had a m3 and he said the same that his felt a bit wooly.
thanks for all the replys
Jim

·
Banned
478 Posts
the wheel's are aftermarket but are the right fit for the hub and no need for spigot rings. it was there with the old wheels but could not notice it as much due to 60 profile tyres i would have thought. I cant rember the make of the bushes they were a german make from euro carparts who said they were the same make as bmw use. checked for play on turn plates and with it jacked up and cant find play in the ball joints. have noticed the outer ball joints are ruber mounted could it be movement in the ruber even tho the joint itself is not worn? all so has any one fitted ones that are not ruber mounted cause my car is lowered 50mm and now has 215/45/17 tyres but just dont seem as pointy as i would have thought spoke to a friend who had a m3 and he said the same that his felt a bit wooly.
thanks for all the replys
Jim
I think you are on about the ball joint on the wishbone??
see here-
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CE32&mospid=47458&btnr=31_0266&hg=31&fg=05

Number 4.
They can be purchased seperately if they are worn, this could be causing you problems.

·
Banned
478 Posts
yes there the ones but have seen some that are just a press in ball joint without the ruber around it.
Im not sure... Maybe when ronnie gets a look at this thread he will confirm for you, but im sure they come as one, balljoint with rubber, i would have thought they are machine pressed into the rubber?

The lemforder outer bottem balljoint is £17.50 on eurocarparts and im sure thats with the rubber aswell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had a look on ebay last night and there are some like the iner one's no ruber at all thinking this might make it a bit tighter and hopfully get rid of this dam wobble. do 46s have the ruber round them? could they be fitting 46 ball joints to 36 arm's. just think it should turn in a bit sharper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had another look to day and when on the floor if you rock the steering wheel side to side the ball joints seem to move but it is the rubber that moves and the joint has no play in it think am going to have to replace them and see what happens. do you know if the e30 ball joints will fit my arms? why did they start putting rubber around them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.