BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a whine in first gear as you pull away only in first tho. gearbox works really well in all gears . is this common? the oil has been changed when the gear box was fitted is there any kind of oil that helps with the whine? or a additive of some kind ??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i have a whine in first gear as you pull away only in first tho. gearbox works really well in all gears . is this common? the oil has been changed when the gear box was fitted is there any kind of oil that helps with the whine? or a additive of some kind ??
no whine from mine Dan?..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my old box didnt do it but was a bit worn this box is of a 3l m3 5 speed works great but a a bit fussy about it making that noise lol

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
are you 100% certain it's the gearbox?.. I was thinking about this today - and I remember when I had an XR2i (many moons ago) - that when I pulled away in first it would make a whining/slight screeching noise.. it turned out it was the 2 bolts on the downpipe to midsection of the exhaust.. they were meant to be spring loaded (and only one side was).. swapped the other bolt out for the correct part and it was fixed..

or the only other thing I can think of is maybe the thrust bearing?..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
defo the box the did it the same day it was changed prob the lay shaft its a shame cus the box is great apart from that have to pick another one up only prob you dont know if ita any good till its fitted and by then its to late what a pain

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
defo the box the did it the same day it was changed prob the lay shaft its a shame cus the box is great apart from that have to pick another one up only prob you dont know if ita any good till its fitted and by then its to late what a pain
that's a bugger!!!.. I'd definitely get a proper opinion though.. it's always hard diagnosing sound/faults things over the internet.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts