BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.9ltr Z3 was registered August 1997.

The 10th Character of my Vin is a 0. Which it shouldn't be, because as you know the 10th charecter is assigned to the date of manufacture and a 0 shouldn't. be used

The ninth number (the check digit) of my VIN is 1

From the first three letters of my VIN I know she was made in Munich, Germany.

I know that year of manufacture and year of registration are bound to be different. So if I go back to 1996 the 10th character should be the letter 'T'
So can anyone solve the mystery of my VIN ? Do I have a unique vehicle ? Or is my car older than the ark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im reading it from the V5 but I have checked the V5 with the car and the V5 is the same as the car..

realOEM say my car was Manufactured may 1997.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
From the first three letters of my VIN I know she was made in Munich, Germany
Not quite - the first three letters tell you it's a BMW, and that BMW are based in Germany (W-Germany, BM-BMW). It's a bit like every Vauxhall nowadays starting with WOL (Germany, Opel) even though they're built in Germany, Spain, Belgium, even Britain.
Your car was made in the good old US of A - South Carolina to be exact.
The thing not to go by is any US based online VIN decoders, the US system of VIN's varies a lot from European ones.
RealOEM seems to get it right with the last seven digits though, so yours will indeed be a May 1997 build. There should be a sticker on the front passenger side suspension turret confirming this.
No big puzzle really :)
HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts