BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

Can anyone tell me why NONE of my service lights come on EVER.

I can see the shapes and colours of them in the dash but they do not light up at all when ignition is turned on or engine started.

I have only just got the car, my first BMW and it seems to run ok but am baffled why none of the lights is active! I have heard of people resetting the SI lights but surely this would mean the green ones should show before starting?

Any help will be appreciated.............Al :confused

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A thought!

I just wondered if there is a single bulb backlight for the entire service light box, if so then maybe its gone and I will need to get the cluster out.

I will be taking the cluster out soon anyway as I have the missing pixels problem and will be following the Utube how to, to have a go at fixing them!

Al

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
The service lights are powered by nicad batteries and from the symptoms you descirbe it sounds like the batteries have failed.

From what I have read they sound like a royal PITA to change as they are soldered on. I have never found the lights that useful but if you are interested in repairing them, post back and I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

I just wondered if there is a single bulb backlight for the entire service light box, if so then maybe its gone and I will need to get the cluster out.

I will be taking the cluster out soon anyway as I have the missing pixels problem and will be following the Utube how to, to have a go at fixing them!

Al
Right! Just been and looked at the display again and its the first time I've seen it at night. The SI box does light up! But none of the little coloured squares is brighter than another, so I'm no wiser! :(

Al

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service lights are powered by nicad batteries and from the symptoms you descirbe it sounds like the batteries have failed.

From what I have read they sound like a royal PITA to change as they are soldered on. I have never found the lights that useful but if you are interested in repairing them, post back and I'll see what I can find.
Thanks mate,

I will try and get the cluster out tom, if it doesn't pee it down again, and will post some pics.

Thanks.......Al

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on service indicators

Hi Ronnie and Ian S,

Today the weather was great and it gave me a chance to remove the cluster!

As to Ians suggestion about NiCads powering the SI lights, I couldn't see any evidence of any, but I did solve the problem, well to a degree anyway.

After stripping the clocks I realised that the SI indicators are PART of the information display LCD panel and weren't working for the same reason that my info display was corrupted - the famous missing pixels!

I followed this excellent how to http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/543597 without which I would never have figured out how get the thing apart and the only part I changed in the how to was that I used my soldering iron to melt the holes instead of drilling them (my bottle went at the drilling prospect) and it worked fine.

Anyway after the first attempt I now have a much clearer information section that is easily readable now, and finally some parts of the SI lights, though not perfectly formed I can now see one green square and possibly two more :)

So hopefully with one or two more goes at it I should get it all looking as it should. :)

BTW its great to finally have a BMW instead of just drooling over other peoples! Also after lurking for some time on this forum I feel like I already know some of you, especially Ronnie, who must have answered more posts than most!

Thanks again guys and is nice to be part of such a great forum.

Al (Dawns other half)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Also after lurking for some time on this forum I feel like I already know some of you, especially Ronnie, who must have answered more posts than most!

Thanks again guys and is nice to be part of such a great forum.

Al (Dawns other half)
Good to hear you are getting there Al/Dawn and hello from me, nice cup of tea you made me the other day :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.