BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. for a while i was getting high oil consumption slight stalling from tickover to partial throttle. and a sucking sound from the engine, i changed the oil seperator valve and hoses, 1 from the rocker cover, the other to the dipstick, the car now runs a lot smoother, and the stalling sensation from tickover has gone. But, now when i floor it from a standstill i am followed by a big cloud of blue smoke (i was getting some strange looks from other drivers on the motorway), the car has for a while used about 1l of oil/500mls, but i never had a problem with clouds of smoke. any ideas before i visit a garage and have my wallet raped. gordy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like the Nikasil problem to me - Very costly

Aside from my M5 I also have a 1996 528i SE that had the same problem as yours a few years ago. Turned out it had that dreadful Nikasil problem where the cylinder bores wear prematurely. You'll find loads of stuff around the net on the subject.
To cure mine I had to have the engine block replaced. The engineering firm who did mine replaced my block with a cast iron one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope that helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts