BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
as title please folks, i have a 525tds auto, it has been giving me grief with symptoms along the MAF sensor / lift pump / injector fault diagnosis.

i had the codes read at the start of december and it gave the MAF as being faulty, we didn't know when this was from so cleared the code with the intention of re-reading it but as yet, i haven't had chance to get to the garage.

driving to work tonight the car simply died. instant stall, no judder, shake or bang and the dash read "injector fault" or something similar.

my question, could this be caused by the lift / pre-supply pump stopping totally and sending a bit of air into the injector pump causing the message or am I now staring down the barrel of a mega expensive repair?

i have been told by a landrover development engineer that in the p38 RR they would stall with the slightest drop of air in the fuel system

a prompt reply on this issue would be a big help as i need my car on the road at the moment and need to try and sort a replacement asap if this is something that could be terminal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P38 guy is right, air in an mech injection means the injection pump can just be squeezing air instead of pumping diesel, but I though the pumps were self bleeding.

If you've had problems at less than a 1/3 tank, then it might be the tank pump.
currently its just over the 1/4 mark and the tinkering tends to happen when below 1/2 a tank.

would it send a injector fault message to the dash though?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, I imagine you have the high OBC, which is full text rather than the little car pic with open doors.
e36 325tds would light a little injector light meaning the same thing. the fancy clusters give you a text message.
its got the dash that shouts at me when the washer bottle needs topping up, if i don't stick a hoof on the brake pedal when i start the car etc.

do you think a re-read of the fault codes is worthwhile or just go straight to ordering the parts? the same mechanic would be doing the read and the pump / MAF replacement (depending on result) so multiple bills aren't an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As The End said most likely lift pump in fuel tank, also check the spill off pipes on the injectors they could be split leaking diesel out and drawing air into the system

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As The End said most likely lift pump in fuel tank, also check the spill off pipes on the injectors they could be split leaking diesel out and drawing air into the system
forgive my ignorance - i know flat 4 beetle engines, i know landrover 300tdi engines but i'm pretty new to this one! where would they be located?

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are just small black pipes which start at the injector closest the windscreen and connect to each of the injectors and from final injector back to the fuel tank they basically return any excess fuel not used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are just small black pipes which start at the injector closest the windscreen and connect to each of the injectors and from final injector back to the fuel tank they basically return any excess fuel not used.
many thanks, i'll have a gander, ring the man with the computer and hopefully get some sort of resolution to the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the damn thing died on me completely the other morning! turned out to be air in the injector system, cranking the engine with an injector loosened soon shifted it and it ran like a dream for about 2 miles before doing it again!!!

the clear pipe from the filter to the engine is puching through as much air as it is diesel so i'm guessing it is deffo a fuel pump issue but i'm going to get the fault codes re-read and all the pumps / pipes et checked over by my mechanic before i part with any cash as viability may come into the equation if thee are a couple of underlying issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts