BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,
Been recently looking at threads regarding headgasket failure and it seems to be a problem with the bmw engine.
There is a lot of experts on here regarding this problem on to repair/diagnose the problem but my question is,
is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Good routine maintenance will probably help but can you go further regarding this because as we know if the gasket fails it is a lot of expense or a new engine. Could you guys help with this matter.
Thanks Webber :rofl

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, would it be worth a full overhaul of the cooling system at regular interval, say radiator, thermostat, waterpump. Fairley cheap parts considering the consequences if one or more fail.
Thanks Webber

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi the cooling system on these cars is rubbish it's not a matter of IF but when they fail one problem leads to another.
i just scrapped my 98 523i the second one in less than three years after have replaced every part in the cooling system.

the trick is to upgrade the cooling system with an all alluminium radiator and uprated water pump and do away with the viscous fan and get an uprated electric fan instead google this on the american bmw forums

wish i had taken this advice £600 later and the cars now scrap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.