BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I lifted the hard top for the first time today and tried out the soft top. It fitted nice and tight and is in very decent condition

However, the plastic window has I think seen better days but is not in too bad condition although slightly hazy - so, is there a good product etc that generally cleans them better than simple soap and water?

The roof fabric is good - there was a little mould from when it was put down without being dried out but that seems to have gone after a gentle wipe with some stardrops in water and allowing it to dry.

Again, is there a good product that you could suggest which is best for cleaning the fabric and what would you suggest as a waterproofing treatment?
Thanks in advance...
Tony

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi tonycsm,
When I was looking for a treatment for my Z4 top recently, I wasn't sure what to look for, but ended up at the main dealer & bought their products (I really didn't want to mess anything up!!)
Anyway, I came away with a spray on cleaner and a concentrate that you mix with water and apply with a sponge to protect the fabric. Both were easy to use and only about 15 quid for the two. They didn't look like anything special, but I wasn't going to risk it; I figured you can't go wrong if you take BMW's own product.
As to whether it does any good, who knows??
I can't really help with the window, as mine is glass, but you could try a bit of T-Cut or similar.
Cheers,
Tone:thumbsup

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys,
sorry for the delay in reply but have had to get a new computer and only just back online!
I'll get on with it as soon as the weather looks like it's worth removing the hard top LOL!
Regards...
Tony

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have used the Autoglym stuff, seems good but i struggle to get the mould out of the corners, how hard would you suggest to rub with the included sponge?

It's quite rough and i dont want to fray or 'bobble' the hood.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have used the Autoglym stuff, seems good but i struggle to get the mould out of the corners, how hard would you suggest to rub with the included sponge?

It's quite rough and i dont want to fray or 'bobble' the hood.
another vote for the AG stuff here.. very good results with it and long lasting!! :)

PS you should be able to scrub with fairly moderate force without any problems.. I had to scrub fairly hard on some areas of mine and it was fine.. the sponge softens a bit when damp anyway! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used the AG stuff and the waterproofing stuff is great, although i didn't have much luck with the cleaner, but my hood is tired. I've just found out about the renovo system and i'm going to try it out as soon as i can spare the cash for some and get some good weather - i have high hopes!

And i'm seconding the post above about not getting the AG water proofer on the paint of the windows - it is a total nightmare to get off (especially when dry)!

·
BFUK Meets Organiser
1,167 Posts
Renovo.... a lot of detailers use it and itys meant to be the nuts. im going to have my soft top get the fullrenovo treatment:thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recommend Renovo as well, does the trick, although you'll need to save a pretty penny to clean it like that frequently.

I tried AG once, never again. It sticks to everything and doesn't seem to make any difference, cheap tat, don't bother.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I tried AG once, never again. It sticks to everything and doesn't seem to make any difference, cheap tat, don't bother.
you must not have used it correctly then ;).. I put mine on months ago and the water is still beading/sheeting off it nicely.. and the hood still looks like new..

regarding it sticking to everything??.. it states on the directions not to apply it to glass or paintwork - hence low tack masking tape (masking off the surrounding area) is probably advisable regardless of whatever product you use.. :thumbsup ;)

Reactions: quasiperiodic
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.