BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi got a price for getting my wheel archer done due to rust also in the price is 2 rust spots on drivers door below moulding boot to be sprayed from spoiler down due to bit of rust passenger side skirt sprayed due to scratched
21hours labour at £30.00 £100 for paint total £876 inc vat is that a fair price
bill:thumbsup

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,133 Posts
seems quite alot bill BUT with spraying you get what you pay for, i would get a few other quotes first mate :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
What are they doing to the arch?

If it's cutting out and letting in, properly welded not spots or a seam or with a huge overlap that starts new rust early, then expect to pay.

If it's metalic it adds some more but still seems a bit high to me.

Sometimes the difference between a good body shop and a poor one is the ability to say paint it again if it's not right.

Reactions: gunner1

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
hi got a price for getting my wheel archer done due to rust also in the price is 2 rust spots on drivers door below moulding boot to be sprayed from spoiler down due to bit of rust passenger side skirt sprayed due to scratched
21hours labour at £30.00 £100 for paint total £876 inc vat is that a fair price
bill
you need to ask them what are they doing in regards to the rusted areas, if its just the case of filling then thats not cheap mate, but take into acount the hole panel would have to be pianted, so i would say its about a couple of hundred out mate, i had a price to respray the hole front end on my M5 and it was £600 cash to give you some idea:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bill
you need to ask them what are they doing in regards to the rusted areas, if its just the case of filling then thats not cheap mate, but take into acount the hole panel would have to be pianted, so i would say its about a couple of hundred out mate, i had a price to respray the hole front end on my M5 and it was £600 cash to give you some idea:thumbsup:thumbsup
they said cut rust out and fill with some sort lead and guarantee rust wont come back had another price for just archers £200 to £300 each and could not guarantee rust coming back the guy who service my car use them for his work and say they are very good i dont want to go cheap or get rip of but i think you get what you pay for
bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seems a tad high there mate. Can you not ask around people you know (say, at work etc) as what you really need is a recommended 'tame' body tech. Somebody who is happy to work off hours for a little extra cash.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
To put it into perspective Bill I'm having the following work done to my Samoa Blue coupe.

Arch repair section welding and painting on passenger side, rust cut back and painting on passenger side, front bumper and nose cone painting off the car and refitting all for £300 to a fine standard having had dozens of cars painted by the same guy with a small discount for having all my cars as a trader painted by him.

I think the others are choosing their words carefuly but I'll say that price you have been quoted is bloody rediculous!

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
It seems expensive to me Bill, but as others have said - good bodyshops charge top rates as they are not short of work....

I would like to get a similar amount of work done to my E36, but seeing those figures I might have to wait a little while. As some have said, a cheap job CAN lead to regrets...;)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
they said cut rust out and fill with some sort lead and guarantee rust wont come back had another price for just archers £200 to £300 each and could not guarantee rust coming back the guy who service my car use them for his work and say they are very good i dont want to go cheap or get rip of but i think you get what you pay for
bill
Ok if lead loading then that is craftsman level normally associated with proper panel beaters not the usual body shop.

As a guide, proper lead loaded seams are supposed to be able to hold back rust for 7 years.

Therefore if done properly could well be worth it due to longevity.

The words you have used are sketchy so I'm drawing a line through key words.

On another note, putting paint on a car is the easy part. It's the prep that takes time so anyone just having a panel reparayed that is basically in good condition is not a good comparison price as a colour coat is no biggy.

Reactions: gunner1

·
Platinum BFuk Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok if lead loading then that is craftsman level normally associated with proper panel beaters not the usual body shop.

As a guide, proper lead loaded seams are supposed to be able to hold back rust for 7 years.

Therefore if done properly could well be worth it due to longevity.

The words you have used are sketchy so I'm drawing a line through key words.

On another note, putting paint on a car is the easy part. It's the prep that takes time so anyone just having a panel reparayed that is basically in good condition is not a good comparison price as a colour coat is no biggy.
thanks for all your replys i will find out more and let you know how iget on i will find out more about lead loaded e36coupe328:thumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bill - I paid £290 all in to have boot sprayed, and n/s/r wheel arch done. They do all the body work for my local BMW indy and the job is top notch.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts