BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, as per the title I plan to change the battery in my car, is there a procedure I have to follow and any particular tools?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
just had a look on the internet and noticed that some people try and keep the power live when changing a battery so as not to have to reset codes etc, might be a bit overkill but worth looking into - it's called a battery tender (on American sites) and it can plug into the cigarette lighter to give enough juice when changing over the battery to save having to reset ecu and radio codes etc.

I'm sure an expert will be along in a bit though! Sadly I have no idea where the battery is on an E36 :lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Now you've scars me lewy, resetting codes ?????
haha, sorry mate, not intended, I could be barking up the wrong tree so I'd wait for some E36 boys to jump on and advise before getting worried. :thumbsup

If you do need to reset the radio code for example it'd be in your manual so not a major issue.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not so sure on codes mate as never had the standard radio fitted but you just take the out and fit new. You would only need to set the codes on a radio if its a security coded unit.

·
BFUK Meets Organiser
1,167 Posts
out with the old in with new and naturally your clocks etc will need to be reset as will your headunit if running any security codes. Just be careful of the live...negative off first...:thumbsup

·
Registered
99 Posts
The battery lives on the right in the boot (under the plastic tray) and will be held down with a simple clamp (to stop it moving around) and the two battery leads pinched tight with a bolt on each. Undo the clamp, slacken both pinch bolts on the terminals and lift off the leads (usually earth first, and replacing is earth last), take the battery out and re-fit of the new one is the reversal of what you've just done.

If you've got any concerns about loosing radio codes etc. - under the bonnet on the right (drivers side) up near the bonnet strut there is a black box with a red + on it. This is a jump start post, which if you connect another battery +ve to this and the negative to a good earth (one of the 3 shock absorber bolts on the front right shock turret next to the jump start post will do) it will keep your battery leads live whilst you change the battery over at the rear. If you do this, remember the battery +ve lead will stay live even when you lift it off the battery, so don't let it touch earth whilst you lift the battery out and put the new one in, or you'll have sparks. As long as you are careful its an easy job, and will take less time than making a coffee.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Monkey boy - thanks lots just what I needed :)

I'm now a little confused on what to lookout for on a battery as there are so many types.

For example looking at the Bosch website which one do i pick?

http://www.boschbatteries.com/p0/318-328-cabrio-90-99/2554.htm

They all seem to be same volts but minimal difference in amps ?????
Some have the positive and negative points at different ends so not suitable for your car as the wires won't reach properly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Sham - back to my rescue again LOL

I keep proving how little I know, what does the 065 mean and is there a minimum I need ?

Anything else I should know before I hit buy?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ian, why the vent hose ?????
Most batteries have the red vent attachment on the side. My £40 battery has one. No need to spend silly money on a battery to be honest.

I've always got a 065 from my local motor factors whenever i've needed a new battery. 2 year guarantee so can't really complain if something goes wrong.

The s4 should do :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts