BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys and girls.

I was just wondering if anybody had ever had similar symptoms to the ones i'm about to describe.

Basically the biting point of the clutch is right on the floor. I also have issues getting the car into 1st gear, it always goes in but sometimes it requires a bit of effort. This doesn't generally happen from cold or when the car is off, so i'm ruling out a linkage problem.

I was wondering if there was any known issue with clutch plates not fully releasing? Or could it be that my clutch is on it's last legs?

Thanks

Graham

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Sounds like the clutch could be toast, does it grind into reverse? If yes then it sounds more bad news for the clutch.

First thing to do will be bleed the clutch system, after bleeding try it out again, if just the same then you need a clutch.
I presume the pedal doesn't pump up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On occasion it will grind when going into reverse. I was afraid the clutch was on it's last legs. I will try bleeding the system though and will cross my fingers, is there an online tutorial about for the procedure? The pedal doesn't pump up, no.

I can't imagine a clutch plate is cheap :(

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
I've just read this though, it might be worth a try before forking out for a new clutch.

http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&t=583871&nmt=E36 M3 clutch fault
GTC

Dont panic, it doesnt necessarily sound like a failing clutch to me....

it sounds more like master cylinder or slave...or air in the system....or that braided hose possibly.

I would buy the hose and get it fitted as per the PH thread, then get the system bled and test it.

Once the clutch engages, take the car on a run and floor it in 4th gear on a dual carriageway.

is it slipping?? (eg/ do the revs match the speedo...or are the revs going up and the speedo not moving as fast as it should!)

if it passes that test then the clutch sounds ok.

and on to the master and slave cylinders

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch doesn't slip under full load. I will try bleed the system today and if that fails to improve i'll invest in a braided hose.

Cheers for the help, i'll let you know how it goes.

Additionaly, without me having to look, does anybody know if the UK M3 EVO comes with 2 pin or 4 pin brake light switch ? Cheers.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
The clutch doesn't slip under full load.

So the clutch is NOT failing!

I will try bleed the system today and if that fails to improve i'll invest in a braided hose.

Cheers for the help, i'll let you know how it goes.

Additionaly, without me having to look, does anybody know if the UK M3 EVO comes with 2 pin or 4 pin brake light switch ? Cheers.[/
Cant recall on the brake light switch Im afraid

·
Registered
11 Posts
Additionaly, without me having to look, does anybody know if the UK M3 EVO comes with 2 pin or 4 pin brake light switch ?
IIRC the brake switch is 4 pin and clutch switch is 2 pin on the M3. Double check before you buy though.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If you have a OBC (on board computer) then it will be 4 pin. If no OBC then 2 pin.

And if the clutch cover fingers have got weak and bent then this can cause gear engagement problems and still not slip. But like mentioned try bleeding the system first and check the slave hose for bulging or just replace it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts