BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 328i saloon which I've had for about three months now, yesterday my wife took it on a fifty mile trip and when she came back she said that the steering felt heavy (compared to her Z3).

I took it out this morning and it certainly seems to take more effort to turn the wheel than I remember.

I've checked the PAS fluid reservoir and the level is okay, the fluid is also pretty clear.

The PAS is still working as I tried turning the wheel while stationary and it was easier with the engine running.

There are no funny noises from underbonnet when turning the wheel.

I can see the belt which drives the alternator and presumably the PAS pump and it seems to be in good condition and not slipping (there's a receipt in the service history for it being replaced about a year ago).

Any ideas? I could only think of the PAS pump but I'd expect some noises if that had failed from what I've read.

Cheers

Steve

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Couple of things it could be.

There was a recall for a lower steering joint/knuckle so I'd firstly check for excessive corrosion on that and probably lube it up anyway. If you look in the engine bay where the shaft comes through the bulkhead and follow that down to the joint.

Beyond that it could be a problem with the steering wheel slip ring or about three of the steering column bearings!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've noticed over the last month a sort of creaking noise from the front end with a very slight knocking through the steering when pulling away from junctions - sounds like it could be those joints that need attention. I'll check them out.

Cheers

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.