BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys im looking at selling my 320i to buy a 1997 328i sport to save on insurance lol work that one out.

Anyway the guy is saying it didnt have to be recalled because its after the nikasil issue time. Ive done some research and it appears he is wrong. Its a long way to go to collect a car and i dont wanna be buying trouble.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
if it has the ali engine and its not blown up by now it will be fine

Reactions: djsteviec01

·
Registered
378 Posts
I believe cars built before march 1998 were affected, whereas those built after that date, had been modified. So your suspicions are right.
This is correct :thumbsup

if it has the ali engine and its not blown up by now it will be fine
:thumbsup

It doesn't have to blow up to be affected!
They also use alot of oil.
Mine was built Jan 98 with a Nikasil block and doesn't use a drop :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
mine was built in 1995 and purrrs like a kitten and uses no oil

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a 1995 sport with no issues what so ever, whereas my wife had a 320 touring, and it drank oil as quickly as the petrol.

From what I know of the issue, I believe there was more issues from cars which were registered in the North West. Something to do with the fuel eating the cylinder bores. My 328 spent all it's life in the North East, whereas my wifes, started out life in Bath and the west coast of England.

There is a thread on here, which I remember reading, which stated the 1998 cut off date.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes I agree, and has been said in other threads, not all were affected, and those that were, normally showed up around 50,000 miles or so, and were usually still under warranty, and therefore replaced by BMW

·
Registered
640 Posts
I believe cars built before march 1998 were affected, whereas those built after that date, had been modified. So your suspicions are right.
That maybe a general rule, but I checked my 328i sport as it was manufactured before Jan 1998 and mine isn't a Nikasil and isn't affected. :hihi

I also have a 1997 328i that is a Nikasil with 155k on the clock and it never had an issue either.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one im going to look at has done 162,000. Apart from the obvious is there anything you owners can suggest i look out for when i test it tomorrow? And if it is a nikasil with this mileage from what i gather it should be fine :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
check for slack steering and the rear wondering and the ither usual stuff like electrics and check the history

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
The one im going to look at has done 162,000.
And at that kinda mileage, I would expect the engine, if Nikasil, to be fine...

As people have stated, some in '97 were made with and some without Nikasil liners.

Go have a look at the car - If your still concerned, compression test it - If the seller has nothing to hide, he won't mind you doing that !

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok got the car and i love it... pics to come once its clean. Got a couple of bit need sorting. Its got a silly induction kit and i want to put it back to stock. Is the air box on my e36 320i the same ..it looks it?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ok got the car and i love it... pics to come once its clean. Got a couple of bit need sorting. Its got a silly induction kit and i want to put it back to stock. Is the air box on my e36 320i the same ..it looks it?
i think the 320i is a six cylinder too, so it should be the same :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 31 Posts