BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of confusion about the location of the cabin/pollen/micro filters of the different E36's, this is the other type to
steve23002 guide.

1. Remove the two screws shown in the picture. Then carefully remove the panel that forms the underside of the dashboard.

2. Remove the piping that is marked in the picture by pulling gently towards the right hand side of the car.

This is the part that you are removing:

3. Undo the lock that holds the cap of the filter chamber (see pic) by turning anti-clockwise approximately a quarter of a turn.

This is what the entire lock and cap looks like:

4. Remove the original filter. You will need to snap it in two places in order to get it out. Once it is removed, you should be left with this:

5. The new filter will need to be broken in the same places to get it into the slot. There are two slots moulded into the filter on each of the long sides. Gently break the frame at these points.

6. Install the new filter. There is a tab sticking out of one end of the filter (see pic above). Make sure this tab is facing you as you install the filter. It will be very tricky to remove the filter again as the frame has been broken and you are likely to rip the paper. This bit is quite awkward but take your time and it should go in ok.

7. Once the filter is in the slot, push it towards the rear of the car so that it is only half visible when looking into the slot. then replace the cap and lock it into place by turning clockwise. Re-fit the piping and then re-fit the panel ensuring that the end of the piping is pointing through the holes in the panel.

N.B. This is intended as a guide only. I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused to your car or yourself by following this guide. If you are not confident that you are capable of carrying out this or any other maintenance work to your car please do not attempt it.

thanks to Bavarian board and other sources, id also like to thank my cut knuckles and trusty cigs who helped me get through this!!!:rofl

·
Registered
3 Posts
did this on my 99 323 cabby myself not long after getting it - heater output was a bit weak with the top down so suspected clogged filter. instructions were easy to follow and the filter was black when i got it out!!! took a few goes to get it back in mind, probably about half an hour and half a dozen goes but kept trying and did it right eventually. glad i did ,output of heater was at least double after doing it,in fact it burns my toes now on 32!! well chuffed. thanks to people like your goodself for posting clear easy to follow instructions, saves us a bit of money and get to know how your car works at the same time. cheers :thumbsup

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did this on my 99 323 cabby myself not long after getting it - heater output was a bit weak with the top down so suspected clogged filter. instructions were easy to follow and the filter was black when i got it out!!! took a few goes to get it back in mind, probably about half an hour and half a dozen goes but kept trying and did it right eventually. glad i did ,output of heater was at least double after doing it,in fact it burns my toes now on 32!! well chuffed. thanks to people like your goodself for posting clear easy to follow instructions, saves us a bit of money and get to know how your car works at the same time. cheers :thumbsup
thats the beauty of thisn site, we are all here to help. glad to be of service!!:thumbsup

Reactions: Devonlad2010

·
Registered
17 Posts
A good tip this one, very informative.
I did mine after reading about it elsewhere, which was a bit confusing, not like you info thanks.
One thing I did do was to turn on the heater blower to get the dust out before putting the new filter in, and when I did this it was like being in a sand storm,
I was covered in dust grit leaves and feathers. :hihi

·
Registered
992 Posts
Cheers bigman 328 been trying for ages to find my pollen filter and after reading this a new one was in within 10 mins

Reactions: bigman_328i_sport

·
Registered
16 Posts
great post bigman good pics and description i done mine today 5 mins and it was out filter was thick and filthy once replaced......b4 my air was at a whisper.....now its blowing full power.....can i go on to say removal of main panel under steering wheel as depicted in the bigmans pic the 2 screws for removal....i came across a third at lower left hand side of panel not sure if its just mine or may b others will find the same anyways top job done least ill be warm this winter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ello bigman, nice write up on RHD.. but could you go into a bit more detail between step1 and 2. maybe it is because I have an older car.. but my step 1 as far as i can see is 2 screws, 1 top right same as yours and the other is near your left knee just as it corves to go under.

As far as I can see my panel is 1 big piece(trim panel till the knees then a black rubbery, looking in the gap when the screws are removed there is quite a bit of backing all the way down as far as I can see.), and i can only move it about 1-2inches. it don't want to bend or move in any flexible way.

If it seems a bit incoherent I have been trying to do it for most of the day.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well had a look at the filter, someone been there before, it was just to easy to get the 1st bit off.anyway not sure if mine was real bad, really black on one side..great guide big man

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for this guide. I just replaced my filter in about 15 minutes.

Can I just add that the part you are removing in part 2 is held in place by two plastic pins. One in the top (you can see the hole in the top of the removed pic) and one below the outlet hole that the part goes into. They're next to impossible to remove by themselves so you just have to be a bit brutal and risk snapping them - thankfully that didn't happen to me. They're a bit fiddly to get back in, helps if you have small fingers or are just bloody minded (like me).

Difference now is like night and day. I'm getting more air out now on 1/3 setting than I was before on full.

I'm still getting next to no air out of the passenger vents above the glove box however, any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for this guide. I just replaced my filter in about 15 minutes.

Can I just add that the part you are removing in part 2 is held in place by two plastic pins. One in the top (you can see the hole in the top of the removed pic)
The pin is a vertical expanding plastic pin. wedge a flat screw driver between the bottom of the pin (visibile just to left of the red circle in picture 2) and the top of the plastic piping. Twist the screw driver or lever it upwards and the expanding pin will get forced out of the hole in the piping (visible in picture 3)

Mine only had one pin and a plastic clip towards the front holding it on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just done this on my 99 328i Cab - Great description thanks and took no more than 5 minutes - What came out was absolutely filthy so not sure if its ever been done before. The blowers on my car were not good at all and although still a bit feable this simple job has improved things alot!
Cheers mate - Appreciate your efforts helping others!
Jamie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts