BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
I have just purchased a 328i auto coupe on a 1997 plate which i plan to swap the engine into my 318is coupe also on the same year.

I bought the 2.8 very light damaged and wanted to see how she runs, but she does not start. I have checked the fuel pump and it is fine and i think it has a spark, there is fresh petrol in the tank and the battery has a decent charge, so i am now confused. It has the correct key and there is no nasty aftremarket immobiliser on it.

Does the car have a fuel cut out switch that may need resetting after the accident ( only damaged the front grill and headlight).

Any help is greatly appreciated

Also i will be breaking the car after i remove what i need so any bits required let me now and we can organise a price

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump prime on position 2 of the ignition? Did the air bags deploy in the crash? If so, then the crash sensor module will need to be replaced as it cuts off the fuel.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes mate the fuel prime does prime and the airbags did not deploy, was unbeliveably light shunt. The car is mint aside from the damage

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have tried a expensive snap on diagnostic scanner and the ecu just kicks it out everytime i try to read the codes. Could the cars ews be at fault or is it something else?
Any help is much appreciated and needed

thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crisis is over, i had another crack at it today with the diagnostic scanner and managed to get into the ecu.

Turns out the code that stopped the car running was an airbag ecu fault, the ecu did not have a power supply and this was stopping the car starting.

Dont now if it is a common fault on these, but it is a simple fix.

Thanks for the help

Reactions: RYM

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Crisis is over, i had another crack at it today with the diagnostic scanner and managed to get into the ecu.

Turns out the code that stopped the car running was an airbag ecu fault, the ecu did not have a power supply and this was stopping the car starting.

Dont now if it is a common fault on these, but it is a simple fix.

Thanks for the help
Great to hear you got it sorted and Thanks for posting your progress:thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts