BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
recently tried to change a rear wheel bearing on my coupe. it carnt be removed the shaft siezed in the hub and the drive flange wont budge iv got all the specail tools including the bmw slide hammer its just not gonna happen. anyway i need a new traing arm and drive shaft.

has anyone done the same caus i cant find any drive shafts or arms the same as mine its only a standard sport package but all drive shafts iv seen are different to mine . mine thin at the ends and thick the rest of the shaft.
can anyone give me part numbers or just some advice please really struggling
thankyou.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no but i got the manual hub adapter and force screw for removing the shaft and it just aint gonna move already removed the arm and shaft had a new one but it wasnt the same and didnt fit alot of work.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I bent the bar that the force screw goes through once trying to push a really stubborn shaft out, it has a weak point where the screw goes through the bar, I ended up using my large copper faced hammer, it worked :hihi 5lbs is great when you swing well :rofl

Can you measure the outside of your shaft? see here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG12&mospid=47431&btnr=33_0468&hg=33&fg=25

It's a pity you don't have access to the hydraulic press that goes in the hub adaptor, that would move it. I also doubt you will be able to hammer it out as I had the car on the ramp so could use maximum power and swing :hihi, Looks like you will have to press it out once you have sourced a driveshaft

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you no ur stuff ronnie but iv seen even a hydraulic press break before removing the shaft from the hub. will measure on monday i am an 3rd year apprentice at a bmw garage so i do no a bit too. carnt belive thats there not that much on hear about rear wheel bearing in my experince high millage one are absulote nightmare.
have you ever seen these larger driver shafts it thick most of the way and thinner in the midder most the shafts are thin with a little ridge in the middle and the splines on the hub end are to small to fit in the new arm iv got.
cheers

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ive got a pair of 328i drive shafts in the shed! and I think the hubs aswell with good bearings! pm me if you want more info mate, might have the trailing arms aswell? will check tomorrow

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you have any success with your problem? I dont want to worry you too much but i had the same problem as you on my E46 328i, i needed the bearing replacing on one side, but the shaft was stuck in the hub. The garage couldnt get the damn things out, even on a press. It cost me £1100+ to put right, all for a £65 bearing. And the biggest choker was it happened previously 6 months ago when i needed some suspension work doing, so 2 garages couldnt be wrong surely? I saw the aftermath of the knakkered parts afterwards....it wasnt pretty.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi, did you have any success with your problem? I dont want to worry you too much but i had the same problem as you on my E46 328i, i needed the bearing replacing on one side, but the shaft was stuck in the hub. The garage couldnt get the damn things out, even on a press. It cost me £1100+ to put right, all for a £65 bearing. And the biggest choker was it happened previously 6 months ago when i needed some suspension work doing, so 2 garages couldnt be wrong surely? I saw the aftermath of the knakkered parts afterwards....it wasnt pretty.
£1100! What did they replace! obviously all genuine parts :eek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts