BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionaly when I start my 328i I get a noisy rattling noise for a few seconds then it dissapears, it only does this every so often when u start it and its fine when ur driving, does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

Also, how much should it cost to get a new clutch fitted?

·
Banned
478 Posts
does it sound like it comes from the top part of the engine?

if so,

this is likely to be the tappets... mine does it too... it is normally just the tappets tapping as the oil pressure builds up and then clears shortly after this happens.... providing it disappears as you say, shortly after starting her up, i doubt its much to worry about..:thumbsup

·
Registered
100 Posts
Could poss be the vanos unit playing up.

If it sounds like its rite at the front top of the engine its the vanos.

If so then i would just leave it as is, you can get a new unit from Dr Vanos in the usa or you get a kit and rebuild your one if you like.

Put if the sound is only there for a few seconds then would leave as is.

A clutch kit will cost you around £90- £140 depends on which make you buy, then theres the cost of your local garage to fit it at there hourly rate?

Hope this helps

·
Banned
478 Posts
hmmm... possibly vanos... do you get a rattle when driving? say around 2-3,000 rpm??

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
From the description my money's on the timing chain.

This link maybe of use http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...Upgrade/101-Projects-16-Tensioner-Upgrade.htm

Ian
Cheers for the link Ian. Ive got to do mine when i get back from hols at the end of the month. Its got exactly the same noise as the OP describes.
As soon as the oil pressure is up, the noise is gone. :thumbsup
Very common on nissan micras,primeras etc
Used to do loads of them when i worked for the Nissan Agents :frown

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest it sounds more like the noise comes from the side of the engine (drivers side) but I will check all the other possibilities as the noise is annoying the hell out of me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.