BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recentely brought a 1997 e36 328i sport. its done 120,000 miles. and i've just changed the engine oil but my car is still sounding a bit rattly. nothing major that it will blow soon or anything but i can just notice it is a but tappy. cold and warm it doesnt change. im not sure if its definitely the engine or might be something else. (gearbox,prop shaft im not sure.) but is this normal? or are they ment to be really smooth sounding with just a little ticking noise from injectors?

Cheers, dan

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Our 68,000mile demo car is silent, just the 6 cyl noise and but no rattles etc regardless of temperature or revs.

I have come across a few with various mileages some high milers sound like our demo car others sound a bit worse for wear.

Could be all sorts like thin oil, wearing chain tensioner, camshaft sensors........

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Use a screwdriver held to the ear and then hold it against parts of the engine, the noise will transmit along the screwdriver handle to your ear, using this principle you can trace where the noise is loudest from :thumbsup. Or buy a stethoscope :hihi Machine Mart sell them cheap.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My 6cyl was pretty silent in july before i took it off the road, started it up the other day and let it run and it sounds pretty ticky, not in a tappet way, more of an injector tick sort of noise, quite loud too. I'm putting it down to oil needing a good flush through but they shouldn't really sound ticky at all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.