BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got a 1997 328 Sport, 114K miles, its losing coolant and there is sludge in the oil cap and on the dipstick, I'm assuming the head gasket is gone..(?)

1. Are there other possible problems that could cause this?

2. What sort of price should I look at to get a head gasket replaced (not at a main dealer though)?

3. Would I be better of part exchanging it for a newer E46?

Some advice from others would be appreciated.

Cheers....

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Last time I had a head gasket go, earlier this year I was quoted £400 for replacing the head gasket (albeit a four cylinder car).

Whatever you do, don't let it get to the stage where the car is overheating - you might wreck your piston rings / liners.

If you car's in otherwise good condition, it's probably worth getting it fixed then selling it private. Otherwise, get rid however is most cost efficient. :thumbsup

Reactions: mattjhunt

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi, got a 1997 328 Sport, 114K miles, its losing coolant and there is sludge in the oil cap and on the dipstick, I'm assuming the head gasket is gone..(?)

1. Are there other possible problems that could cause this?

2. What sort of price should I look at to get a head gasket replaced (not at a main dealer though)?

3. Would I be better of part exchanging it for a newer E46?

Some advice from others would be appreciated.

Cheers....

Would you be able to do the work yourself or at a garage?

garage cost you are loooking at 550+ depending on what you wanted replacing additionally.........and if the headbolt threads are stripped on the block, which the 6 pots are prone to, you are looking at at least 70 squids ontop to sort out the threads. And if the head is cracked.........that's a rebuild at possible 300+ extra.

Part-ex.........as it is you wont get much for it mate.

If you can repair it yourself...or are brave enough to attempt do it if haven't done it before, then there are plenty of Boffins here to guide you through it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Do you know why you are looisng coolant????

I lost coolant due to an unoticeable crack in my t/stat housing. Renewed the entire cooling system for about £65 using premiums parts from GSFCP.

Sluge in the oil cap, what may appear to be signs of headgasket could be a simple worn rocker cover gasket which costs circa £15 and is an easy enough job even for DIY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks to all who've replied so far..

I'm definately not up for doing this repair myself, not got the knowledge or the facilities to do it.

There is sludge on the dip stick too if that might suggest the head gasket?

The coolant is dropping very slowly, had to top up once about three months ago, and its now almost at the minimum now.

Car is in good condition, full service history and all that. Obviously wouldnt sell it privately with the fault, but was considering part exchanging it to a stealer without mentioning the fault (not sure on the moral implications of that though). last car I part ex'd at the dealer, they didnt even start the engine, let alone examine it!

Quite fancy an E46 model now, M3 perhaps? Nows the time to buy, what do you rekon?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i would guess that your car is being used for shorter journeys?
loosing coolant at that rate may be head gasket...but i would expect it to go quicker tbh.
try an oil and filter change and give the car a decent thrash once a week and see if the problem returns ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts