BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
This is a really common question. Do a search and you'll find all the info on the mods.

M50 Manifold, Throttle Body and Remap.
'US' M3 Cams.

Doing much more than the above will start to cost serious money. Induction kits etc normally aren't worth the cash.

Check out superchips website, there's a pdf dyno graph of the 328, look how much torque drops off after 5.5k rpm - it's all because of that restrictive manifold...

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
This is a really common question. Do a search and you'll find all the info on the mods.

M50 Manifold, Throttle Body and Remap.
'US' M3 Cams.

Doing much more than the above will start to cost serious money. Induction kits etc normally aren't worth the cash.

Check out superchips website, there's a pdf dyno graph of the 328, look how much torque drops off after 5.5k rpm - it's all because of that restrictive manifold...
Good advice by the guys above:thumbsup

If you want a filter then keep the original air box and replace with an upgraded panel filter. You will see this mentioned many times throughout the forum:hihi

Visit the Tuning section of the forum for advice on remaps as we have experts who frequent the section who's advice is sound:cool

·
Registered
161 Posts
The 328i does have a restricted inlet manifold to keep the power below 200bhp. Replacing the inlet manifold to one from the 325i along with a decent remap and induction kit will give roughly 230-240bhp.

Below is a plot from a 328i I did a few years ago, you can see how the bhp climbs all the way to the red line without tailing off. This is achieved by the larger inlet manifold and throttle body. Torque curve is also flat all the way to the red line.

I can get hold of the inlet manifold and throttle body conversions, if you want more info drop me a pm

Totally different car to drive :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was alway under the impression that standard air boxes restricted the cars air in take and that a cone filter didnt 'strangle' the car with regards to getting a good air supply.I know that the cone filters are subject to drawing in warm air from under the bonnet but this can be over come?I had a civic VTI with a k&n and a boost valve fitted and on the dyno it was up on horse power,all be it not a lot but didnt loose any?!Incidently i dont rate they power boost valves at all!!If you have them set to high you can blow the fuel rail and your emissions can run to high for an MOT,so they have to be set to a more or less standard setting anyway!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.